Washer Leaving Rusty Stains On Clothing

My washing machine is ruining my clothes. It leaves dark orange stains on everything. What can I do to solve this problem? I have hard water, but my machine is leaving these rusty looking stains on just about everything but black clothes. Help!

Trisha from Goodsoil, Saskatchewan

Had the same problem with a washing machine some years ago, where it was leaving orange rust stains on clothing.

Try filling the tub with some hot water and bleach and let it go through the entire cycle. And if that doesn't solve your problem, try my next suggestion.

Use a flash light and see if there are any medal areas in the washer that is coming in direct contact with the clothes during the wash or spin cycle. If you find any rusty spots paint over them with appliance touch-up paint. Around the inside of the tub is a rubber gasket. There are probably rusty areas on the medal that have to be painted.

If you have iron in your water (usually why it is HARD), you can't use any bleach in the wash water or it will make the iron stain your clothes. Some of the detergents have bleach in them and this will also do it. Good luck.

Probalby should get the clothes out immediately after washer is done. My washer's tub had a few spots that were chipped and when clothes were left overnight, they would have rust spots on them.

There is a product you can buy called "Iron-out". I've had to use it before in my washer because of the amount of iron coming through the water. I know you can buy it at Wal*Mart, in the Paper goods & chemicals section.