CurtainsDecorating

Using Curtains Instead Of Painting

Anyone have any ideas on using curtains instead of painting a room?

I am thinking of purchasing curtains or making curtains to put on the walls in my bedroom instead of painting my walls. What do you guys think? Please give me your ideas, both bad and good. Thanks to you all whom chose to help me out.

Igmommy from Sweetwater, TN

Yes! Better Homes and Gardens had an article once on using King size sheets and hanging them from floor to ceiling all around the room. I did this in a bathroom and it was great. I had a 100+ year old house with 12 foot ceilings and large mouldings. I bought cheap dowels, ran them through the open end seam of the sheets and then let them drape down the walls. Honestly, it was beautiful. I found the sheets for about $5 each on clearance at a discount store. It cost me less than $50 for the whole project.

You could also buy cheap fabric that sticks to the walls instead of painting. All you have to do is soak the fabric in liquid starch for a few minutes and hang on your wall with a big hard bristle brush to get out the wrinkles and straighten out like wall paper. Peels off when you get tired of it and want a change. This method does not damage walls. My daughters always want to change the look of their rooms and this a cheap and reasonable look to do it with. Hope it helps.

Anchor rods on ceiling and use rod pocket inexpensive curtains/drapes. They also work great for room dividers, and to cover over unsightly closet doors. You can actually take the doors off allowing for easy access and more closet space and drape the entire wall. Substitute roman shades or bamboo shades for the eclectic look.

I have used material to do my kitchen. I wanted half paint and bottom half of walls fabric. I made a glue with liquid starch and water,painted it on with a big paint brush and then adhered the fabric to the wall.

No mess when want to remove.It is permanent enough to last but will come off easy.

Looks nice also.

I went and got a remnant fabric so the cost was cheaper if I had painted the room fully.

Carolyn

You could also use 2x2 lumber to frame the sheets and use them stretched out flat, as huge pictures. I would use some solids and some big florals, maybe. Or hang the sheets as suggested and have big overlapping curves, suggesting theatre curtains opening. There's something about great swaths of fabric that gives an opulent rich look. Best part is, easy to undo whatever you're tired of!

I have a daughter who lived in military housing. They are not allowed to paint the white walls in her home. You can cover panels of wood with material you like. Use these for headboards or use long narrow ones to add color you like to accent. You can make a faux window with a scene on it and hang draperies from ceiling to floor. I have a friend who has hung sheers on her porch and used tie backs to make her 60 yr old home look more Victorian. I think it looks breezy and cool.

I THINK THAT USING SHEETS IS A VERY GOOD IDEA. THERE IS AT LEAST 3 YARDS OF MATERIAL IN A SHEET AND THAT IS THE CHEAPEAST WAY TO GO. I would love to see what you come up with.