Shelf Life of Frozen Meat

I have got a joint of lamb that has been frozen for 14 months. Do you think that is taking a risk eating it?

By R.Rumsby from Cornwall, England

Best Answer

You could keep it indefinately in the freezer and it would still be "safe"...it just won't be tasty.

"...Food stored constantly at 0 °F will always be safe. Only the quality suffers with lengthy freezer storage. Freezing keeps food safe by slowing the movement of molecules, causing microbes to enter a dormant stage. Freezing preserves food for extended periods because it prevents the growth of microorganisms that cause both food spoilage and foodborne illness..."

Meat, uncooked steaks or chops: 4 to 12 months

Meat, uncooked ground: 3 to 4 months

Source:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/Focus_On_Freezing/index.asp

As mentioned already how well it is wrapped for the freezer is what will make the difference in the quality once frozen. I have had various meats in good condition a lot longer than the time frames listed on the charts but they were wrapped well.

Best Answer

According to Still Tasty frozen food is safe to eat indefinitely though it may be beyond its best taste.

Use it. May taste freezer burnt, so spice it up!

Go to:stilltasty.com you'll find most all you need to learn on almost everything in your kitchen.

I think it's probably safe to use, although it may taste a bit of the freezer.

You should never eat freezer burnt meat. If possible cut it away but if it is extensive throw it away.

January 25, 2011 Flag

How long can you keep butchered meats safely in the freezer? I primarily wondered about hamburger and steak.

By Sharon from Omaha, NE

Answers:

Shelf Life of Frozen Meat

A lot depends on how you have it packaged. I have had venison that I 'vacuum packed' be just fine after a year of being stored at close to zero in my freezer.

Other meats that were just packed in 'butcher paper' or freezer wrap, started to dry out after a few months. After close to six months, I had to get rid of some as it was getting 'crumbly'. As they say, your mileage may vary.

I did find a package of fish at the bottom of the freezer that was about two years old. It could have passed for being petrified (grin). (01/19/2010)

By duanedv

Shelf Life of Frozen Meat

This is a link which gives you information about the shelf life of lots of different foods.

http://www.stilltasty.com/ (01/19/2010)

By HoneyGirl1946

Shelf Life of Frozen Meat

You could keep it indefinitely in the freezer and it would still be "safe"...it just won't be tasty.

Meat, uncooked ground: 3 to 4 months

Source:

As mentioned already how well it is wrapped for the freezer is what will make the difference in the quality once frozen. I have had various meats in good condition a lot longer than the time frames listed on the charts, but they were wrapped well. (01/20/2010)

By Kaelle

Frozen Meat
Shelf Life of Frozen Meat
Food and Recipes Freezing MeatJanuary 25, 2011
Frozen Meat
Cooking Frozen Meat
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
Whole limes and limes cut in half.
Storing Limes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🎄