Browsing: Cats Under a Mobile Home

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cats Under a Mobile Home

Keeping animals from going under a mobile home requires good skirting. This guide is about cats under a mobile home.

Mobile Home Trailer
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 20, 2013 Flag

My boyfriend, I, and my 2 yr old Pit Bull recently moved into a trailer in Kentucky. All was good until something got under our new home and is driving poor Otis (my dog) nuts from the inside.

He is a very well trained inside dog, but of course loves his walk/runs and basking in the sun. You usually can't say the word walk without him getting overly excited. Now that he smells what I am assuming are cats thru the vents he spends his days sniffing at every vent and has even clawed one out of the floor. How do I get rid of the cats before he chews his way to them?

By Margaret

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You could call the local Animal Shelter or Humane Society. They should be able to get you a live trap to capture the cats and then they could pick them up and take them away for their own safety.

Best Answer

It may not be cats. Under your trailer is what is called a belly band, which is a sheath of metal bands that hold your insulation in.

During my time with my local energy assistance agency, I learned that other critters get under there and eat the insulation and sadly, don't survive. So, you have three jobs.

One is to get the critters or their remains out. Then, make sure you have sufficient insulation left or your trailer will never be as warm as you need it to be.

Two, is to skirt the trailer well so nothing else gets in.

Three is to close the vents for a while so he can get used to no scents in the house. A radiant heater like the one I am showing will heat your home well, using oil that circulates inside the heater.

Good luck.

Hi - I believe if cats were under your house you would see them once in a while during the daytime. Traps are very good to use but may take several attempts before success.

I also found that as a general rule counties will not take anything in their traps (or any trap) but cats and dogs. Other animals may have to be taken to another area or you may have to call a professional. There are exceptions but you may wish to check to be sure.

Also - do not let anything happen to those traps as you will have to pay for them if not returned.

Check with an exterminating company for ideas. They may have something simple.

Read More Answers...

September 24, 2010 Flag

I have a mobile home that has had numerous cats do their duty under it? I have tried keeping them out, but they keep digging underneath. What is the best way to keep the cats out and rid the mobile home of the smell associated with it? The smell permeates throughout the home.

By Steve from Kellogg, ID

Spread mothballs under your mobile home. Cats and many other animals hate them. Vinegar works, but doesn't last too long.

Keeping them out is key. But, if you love lemons and keep the rinds, toss them under there, too. Cats hate lemon smells and that keeps them out of house plants and outdoor flower beds, too.

No moth balls! The chemical fumes are hazardous to lungs and the chemicals are harmful to the environment and are extremely poisonous and especially so to children and pets! As another poster mentioned, simply find how and where they are getting under there and block the area! The odor will eventually dissipate but you can help the odor going away more quickly by the advice of yet another poster via vinegar!

NO MOTH BALLS. It doesn't actually work for cats, and the mothball smell is far worse and actually more dangerous for you than the cat smell.

When I had a similar problem, I had an aggressive mother cat that had access to the crawlspace, and she would keep the other cats out. However, when she got old, she couldn't do it.

Alternately, I would try spreading any sort of citrus scent. Orange peels might do the trick. When I had stray cats spraying their scent around my house, I doused the places with lemon scented Mr Clean, and that seemed to discourage them. I would splash it on full strength.

I have not had good luck with cat repellant, and the odor that it has is also weird, but you could certainly give it a try. I bought it at a garden store.

Read More Answers...

July 10, 2007 Flag

I have dogs and my neighbors cats are getting in my yard and under my house (mobile home). My dogs get under there and wreak havoc trying to get to them. I'm afraid they will rip my duct work and other wiring or even get hurt. I heard to use moth balls, but does this work and will my dogs try to eat them? I would like a home remedy please.

Tina from Winter Haven, FL

My mobile has skirting around it, there's chicken wire under the stairs & the small addition has plastic lattice under it. This was done to keep dogs out. My cat still made his way in to the area where the plastic lattice was. If I hadn't heard him meowing, I'd have never found & rescued him! The people I bought the place from should have used a smaller-hole lattice.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but, I doubt very much there's anything you can do except run chicken, or rabbit wire or plastic fence grid around the mobile. If you're like me, every cent counts & you may not be able to afford skirting. Or your mobile may be set up only temporarily. But, here's a cool thing you may have access to: In my state, Washington, several of the utilities companies have, in conjunction with the state, a fund to help low income homeowners winter-proof their places of residence for free! (to help save energy) This program is VERY cool, & I will probably take advantage of this great power-saving program. If you don't own your mobile, you will need to have your lanlord fill out the paperwork, or at least sign the paperwork after you've filled it out. If you qualify, they should help you skirt your mobile home along with covering windows with plastic etc, etc. If you don't qualify for this program, or they don't have an "Energy Saving" program in your state, maybe you could skirt your mobile with something fairly low cost. But, don't do what I've seen done before, don't use Masonite, MDF or OSB for outdoor use. You can use bamboo or reed fencing, or painted plywood. Of course, as you know, Vinyl skirting would be the ultimate & would work best!

-You may already have skirting around your mobile. If you do, then just take some chicken wire & shove it into any cracks big enough for animals to sneak through.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* As far a "Remedies" to keep cats & Dogs away, Here's one:

Cats, Dogs & other critters have the best of noses. The one thing they all HATE is Hot Red Peppers (They make them sneeze!)... Here's what you do:

Take a bunch of Dried Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (and/or cayenne & black pepper) Cover the hot pepper with Rubbing Alcohol, Put this in a glass jar & cover with a lid, then let it sit for 3 or days or more... Then strain it & put the Hot pepper mix into a spray bottle & spray where you want to keep the critters away, or just pour the un-strained mixture around where they are getting in under your trailer. Try to poor it somewhere it'll be covered from the elements, or the rain will eventually wash it away. You could just put wet red pepper (if it's dry it will blow away) around the area, but the alcohol takes the hot part (capsicum) out of the pepper & into the liquid this works best. A Dog or Cat will smell this & Sneeze, they HATE it & might leave after smelling it

* A note: The best & cheapest place to buy a large bag of crushed red pepper is an Asian or East Indian grocery store or Restaurant Supply. Sometimes they will discount it if it's been sitting on the shelves for a while.

---> NEVER use Ammonia around pets, as this confuses them because it smells like pee, so they want to "mark their territory"... & who wants this!? It will just make them want to pee under your mobile home?

-- Cats hate the scent of citrus, so you could also try leaving Lemon Peals in the area you want them to stay away from or even spray Citrus Room Freshener under your mobile once a week? Who knows? It may work? It can't hurt! Cats also hate Perfume too (It makes them sneeze)....

Let us know if any of these things work. I know the Hot Dried Pepper tincture works great when it comes to keeping animals away from the garden, indoor house plants or away from garbage cans, so, I see no reason why it wouldn't work to keep animals away from under a mobile home too!

---> The BEST thing about the Hot pepper is, Us humans can't smell it, Just the pets with their awesome noses.

Our manufactured home is tied down to a concrete foundation and two feral kittens have found places to get in between the blocks. We have plugged the spaces up. Unknowingly, one place was not plugged in very well and now only one kitten is under there with the other outside our home. It is a constant battle that when they are both out to run and plug the last small opening. One heads one way away from the deck and the other under the deck to the opened small area of the concrete block. We can see them now in the day or night on the deck with their mother. They are too fast for us and go in. Help! The mama cat is tame.

i wish i had an answer for u honey...we had a colony of feral cats when we lived in the country years ago....there was one older female cat who kept all the others away...youve never heard such screeching and howling...it was like Halloween every night..

Have you gotten a home remedy?

Read More Answers...

September 24, 2010 Flag

I live in a mobile home and cat sometimes squeeze through the skirting and go to the bathroom under our house. It is starting to smell. How to I remove the smell? It is all dirt under the house. Please help!

Shannon from MN

Answers:

Cats Under a Mobile Home

You didn't mention how they are getting under there. Do you have skirting around the underneath and they are getting in in the gaps? Or are you completely "un-skirted"?

I have done a lot of research on repelling cats because of problems with them leaving me "presents" in my garden/flowerbeds.

You can lay chicken wire around the areas they are getting in and under the trailer itself. Supposedly they don't like stepping on it (works for repelling raccoons, as well).

I have also heard that they hate the smell of citrus. So I take my used citrus rinds and grind them in to small pieces in a coffee bean grinder or food processor. Or you can just dice them with a knife into small pieces and then spread them liberally in the area they are getting in and under the home itself.

In addition to that I've heard that they don't like the smell of coffee grinds. So that might work for keeping them out and maybe deodorize as well.

Never use ammonia (use vinegar) for cat smells. Cat urine contains ammonia and they will continue to spray or "go" there in an attempt to mark their territory.

Thorny plants work well too like roses. They don't like the smell of lavender and rue plants either! So maybe some landscaping to keep them out and this works great as some more "curb appeal". Good luck!

And another thing, as a last resort, you can call animal control. Wild cats can be dangerous around children. (04/30/2008)

By J

Cats Under a Mobile Home

We also used lime, under the trailer, and under the deck, also around the perimeter of the trailer. And it not only helped with the smell, it helped with fleas and ticks that were being tracked inside. I put a handkerchief over my mouth area, and just cupped it out and broadcast it freely. I had to get a 50 pound bag of lime.

We had a lot of cat problems under the trailer, and they also crawled and dug up into our insulation in the colder months. But, putting the lime down about every couple of months during the spring and summer really helps.

Our problem cleared up all the way when we got small dogs that policed the area, around and under the trailer for cats when they went outside. No more cat problems. No more stink problems. (05/02/2008)

By Glinda

April 30, 2008 Flag

I live in a mobile home and have a lot of cats in my park. They go under my trailer and I am having trouble with a very bad urine odor. It also comes up in my heater vents. How can I get rid of this smell safely? Also, what can I use to keep the cats away?

Lisa Taylor from Magnolia, DE

Answers:

Cats Under Under a Mobile Home

To keep the cats from going under the mobile home, pour ammonia around the outside. It sure keeps them out of garbage and off my back porch.
Good Luck with the bad odor!
Jo Ann (03/14/2007)

By jande54

Cats Under Under a Mobile Home

I'm not sure if your mobile home is ever moved to a different place/position but if not (and after you've got rid of the smell-- good luck!) how about enclosing all the bottom (between the bottom of the trailer and the ground) with a wire net mesh, similar to chicken wire to stop any more animals going under there) Make sure there are no cats, etc trapped under there before you do it!
(03/14/2007)

By Ellie

Anything Under a Mobile Home

19 Jun 2007

Dear Sir or Madam...

I have just found a super, simple, 100% effective and very cheap
way to keep raccoons -- or for that matter, anything -- out from
under your mobile home.

Using the flat end of a grubbing hoe (also called a pick axe and
Hispanics know it as a "talache"), I made a simple trench around
the entire mobile home. The trench abuts the trailer and is no
more than perhaps 2-3 inches deep and no wider than the
blade of the grubbing hoe. In other words, you don't need
anything spectacularly deep or wide.

Next, I used a large bucket to collect a lot of rocks (up to, but
no larger than, fist size).

I then place these rocks around the entire perimeter of the trailer
and covered them with instant concrete mix.

VOILA!

It works like a charm! The 'coons no longer try to dig a hole
under the trailer.

My home is a double-wide, 60' long and 30' wide. I used 12
bags of ready-mix (less than $50 worth) and achieved instant
bliss -- except for those caught in underneath who could not
get out.

Well, I left the little rascals there a couple of days, where
they'd get hungry and thirsty, then opened the access door
to the trailer late in the evening, and they came running out.

This really really works. It's also very fast and easy to do.

Jim
(quote)(/quote) (06/19/2007)

By Jim

Cats Under Under a Mobile Home

Lime is caustic -- can burn your eyes, your lungs. Do not use lime unless you are properly protected AND there are no more animals in that area where you are applying lime. The lime can hurt them too.

Mothballs are not only bad for them BUT for humans-- can cause respiratory distress. Same thing with Lye.

There ARE lots of safer deodorizing alternatives-- even WalMart carries them-- so does the
http://www.petfooddirect.com
and
http://www.petsmart.com
website

As for feral cats-- where is the compassion? Why isn't someone caring for them?

The feral ones are there (and all over this nation) because of Irresponsible members of man"kind" dumping them.

Volunteers and members of Alley Cat Allies,
http://www.alleycat.org
and many other organized or independent Feral Cat Groups -- AND -- individual men and women are getting these cats Spayed, Neutered, medicated, vaccinated and ear tipped. They are giving them COMPASSION. THIS is the way to deal with Feral Cats.

Check out the Alley Cat Allies website and the other website s it refers you to, and see how you can HELP. Most likely there is at least ONE organization or person in your area who does TNR for these feral cats.

Killing cats in most states now is a Felony.

We resonate with all of creation -- we are all connected. Why kill? Why poison? Why brutalize?

There is More than Enough Suffering in this world -- what can WE do to make things better for ALL living beings?
(07/12/2007)

By aattura

Cats Under Under a Mobile Home

Lime is caustic - to Man and Beast.

Use

http://www.sweetpdz.com/dogs.htm

It's non-toxic...to Man and Beast (07/12/2007)

By aattura

Cats Under Under a Mobile Home

There's only ONE sure fire way to get rid of REALLY NASTY odors. We had a fire that smoke damaged our entire home & this is what the Pros use: An Industrial Ozone Machine! You'll have to rent one. No, not the tiny "air cleaners" out there, but the HUGE, industrial size! These machines work so well, you have to leave the area while they run. (Because they take oxygen out of the air) Once you've done what you can to get to the bottom of the problem, Run an Industrial Ozone Machine for 2 or 3 days, you won't be sorry!

* I was amazed. Our whole house was unlivable, the burnt smoke smell was NASTY & permeated EVERYTHING. The carpet, the walls, the popcorn ceiling, the furniture. (Unless you've been through this you can't imagine how bad it really was!) This Industrial Ozone machine ran for 2 days, nonstop, & by the end of the second day ALL traces of the smoke smell were TOTALLY GONE from our home!

-----> You can either rent one of these machines from a rental company. If they don't have one, look under "Fire" in the yellow pages for contractors that specialize in Fire clean-up & ask them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the Urine smell under the trailer, well, I'd not only use the Ozone machine Inside the trailer, but also under the trailer for a day or to too.

---> Do not hurt the cats, (Just think, What if this was my pet?) You can probably get a "No-kill" trap from your local humane society. These cats may very well be strays, because, it's usually Male cats who are NOT fixed who spray & do this kind of "marking their territory" stuff... OR, under your trailer is the perfect "litter Box"... or a Great place to have baby kitties....

*If you already have skirting, you can buy about 50 feet x 10" of aluminum (or galvanized) roof flashing for under $20 at Home Depot... You can put this around the bottom of your skirting trailer & pound it about half way into the ground... This way animals can't dig under your skirting... If there are holes in your skirting, you can "Stuff" chicken wire in to the holes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
One more idea is to put a baby monitor with the sounds of predators (like dogs) barking, this may keep the cats away... You can search GOOGLE for "bird pests" & you'll get all kids of sites that sell recorders to put into trees to keep birds away. Who knows, these may also use for cats?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides the Ozone, the next best things to get rid of smells are White Vinegar & Borax.... You could sprinkle Borax & maybe baking soda too under the trailer & on the carpet & after a few days vacuum the trailer out. You can also leave bowels & small buckets of vinegar all around the inside & under the trailer... This should really make a difference.

* But what ever you do, DO NOT use Ammonia to clean with, as this confuses cats & Dogs because it smells like pee & causes them to want to mark their territory

* In the past, when I've had problems with rats, or other critters, I've called my local county health department & asked questions. They are happy to help...) I couldn't believe it when I found out from them that a rat can scale the side of a refrigerator!)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's something I got off the internet about getting rid of smells.

You may have something behind your wall, so the smell might keep coming back. But the following recipe will really help!
----> To get rid of the odor take a few shallow bowls of white vinegar. Put the bowls in your cupboards with the doors shut overnight. This will take the smell away.
---->To keep smell away. Take an old nylon or an old T-shirt cut into squares. Fill with equal parts Borax and Baking Soda. Tie string around. Hang these up with thumb tacks or hooks in a several places in your cupboards. This will help absorb odors. You need to change these about every month or so (when the smell comes back, just repeat the vinegar & borax/baking soda tricks)
--->You can also put a few cotton balls with a drop or 2 of Oil of Wintergreen on them in your cupboard if you are not storing open boxed foods in the cupboard (the smell can get into the boxes and affect the taste of foods) If your cupboard is used for dishes or canned goods etc. then the oil of wintergreen smells great and is natural.
---> to help absorb moisture as well as odor open a box of white chalkboard chalk and place in cupboard. (These hints for removing odor also work great for the trunk of your car or in old dresser drawers!)
----> for odors on your hands after cutting onion or garlic, or for use on a smelly cutting board, or inside plastic storage containers. Use about a half a teaspoon of dried mustard. Rub on wet hands & wash off. For plastic food containers: Put a bit into water, leave a while or overnight. For cutting board smells, sprinkle on sponge and wipe on cutting board, leave a little while, wash off well. This will make your hands & everything else smell fresh as a daisy! * note* Wash every bit of mustard off, and do not get into eyes, as this is hot! (Same mustard that is used with Chinese Pork with sesame seeds -- The kind that opens your sinuses!)
----> When cook fish, fill a shallow bowl with white vinegar and place next to pan with fish. This will stop fish from smelling up house! White Vinegar, Natures Odor Remover! ---AMAZING!--- (07/12/2007)

By Cyinda

March 13, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Home and Garden Pest Control CatsNovember 29, 2012
Mobile Homes in Snow
Winterizing Your Mobile Home
mobile homes
Storage Solutions for a Mobile Home
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
Keeping Animals From Going Under a Mobile Home
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 12:47:17 AM on 10.0.2.26 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.