Cats Under a Mobile Home

Keeping animals from going under a mobile home requires good skirting. This guide is about cats under a mobile home.

Mobile Home Trailer
Filter Sort

Question: Stray Cats Under My Trailer

My boyfriend, I, and my 2 yr old Pit Bull recently moved into a trailer in Kentucky. All was good until something got under our new home and is driving poor Otis (my dog) nuts from the inside.

He is a very well trained inside dog, but of course loves his walk/runs and basking in the sun. You usually can't say the word walk without him getting overly excited. Now that he smells what I am assuming are cats thru the vents he spends his days sniffing at every vent and has even clawed one out of the floor. How do I get rid of the cats before he chews his way to them?

By Margaret

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Janus 8 455 Flag

You could call the local Animal Shelter or Humane Society. They should be able to get you a live trap to capture the cats and then they could pick them up and take them away for their own safety.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,132 Flag

It may not be cats. Under your trailer is what is called a belly band, which is a sheath of metal bands that hold your insulation in.

During my time with my local energy assistance agency, I learned that other critters get under there and eat the insulation and sadly, don't survive. So, you have three jobs.

One is to get the critters or their remains out. Then, make sure you have sufficient insulation left or your trailer will never be as warm as you need it to be.

Two, is to skirt the trailer well so nothing else gets in.

Three is to close the vents for a while so he can get used to no scents in the house. A radiant heater like the one I am showing will heat your home well, using oil that circulates inside the heater.

Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cats Under a Mobile Home

By Steve Hall 2

I have a mobile home that has had numerous cats do their duty under it? I have tried keeping them out, but they keep digging underneath. What is the best way to keep the cats out and rid the mobile home of the smell associated with it? The smell permeates throughout the home.

By Steve from Kellogg, ID

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

NO MOTH BALLS. It doesn't actually work for cats, and the mothball smell is far worse and actually more dangerous for you than the cat smell.

When I had a similar problem, I had an aggressive mother cat that had access to the crawlspace, and she would keep the other cats out. However, when she got old, she couldn't do it.

Alternately, I would try spreading any sort of citrus scent. Orange peels might do the trick. When I had stray cats spraying their scent around my house, I doused the places with lemon scented Mr Clean, and that seemed to discourage them. I would splash it on full strength.

I have not had good luck with cat repellant, and the odor that it has is also weird, but you could certainly give it a try. I bought it at a garden store.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dogs and Cats Getting Under a Mobile Home

By tina dew 1

I have dogs and my neighbors cats are getting in my yard and under my house (mobile home). My dogs get under there and wreak havoc trying to get to them. I'm afraid they will rip my duct work and other wiring or even get hurt. I heard to use moth balls, but does this work and will my dogs try to eat them? I would like a home remedy please.

Tina from Winter Haven, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Our manufactured home is tied down to a concrete foundation and two feral kittens have found places to get in between the blocks. We have plugged the spaces up. Unknowingly, one place was not plugged in very well and now only one kitten is under there with the other outside our home. It is a constant battle that when they are both out to run and plug the last small opening. One heads one way away from the deck and the other under the deck to the opened small area of the concrete block. We can see them now in the day or night on the deck with their mother. They are too fast for us and go in. Help! The mama cat is tame.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Cat Smell Coming From Under Mobile Home

I need some serious help here. We are planning on selling our house but we have a huge problem. About 3 weeks ago this god awful smell came through the whole house. We thought maybe a mouse had died in our registers or something like that, so a couple days later we had someone come in and clean our registers and put a spray into all of them to get rid of the smell. Well guess what, that didn't help.

So days go by and we couldn't figure out what the smell was or what had caused it. We live in a mobile home so my husband went under the house and all in the insulation there was cat feces and it wreaked of urine. So we bought cat spray's and sprayed it all under the house... the smell still came in. Someone suggested bleach, well that worked for a bit because your nose was so immune to the bleach you couldn't smell anything else and the smell is still here.

My husband sprayed it on the wood under the house and replaced all the insulation that was wrecked but the smell still returns. I've bought some of those battery operated fan smelly things and put them in the registers... THE SMELL IS STILL HERE.

I need some major help ,it wreaks in our house but it's coming from under the house and in through the vents, what do we do? I need another solution that's going to work, we are going to be selling our house and I don't think people will want to buy it with this awful smell. What next?

Natasha M

Answers:

RE: Cat Smell Coming From Under Mobile Home

Try burning a can of fresh coffee grounds under the trailer , you will have to do it on a hot plate as i would be afraid to use charcoal under there. Keep a close eye on it at all times. I've never done it but it worked for a friend of mine on the interior of a car that someone committed suicide in. Good Luck! (04/22/2005)

By shadowbabe58dlx

I have always used white vinegar on cat urine problems. Cats sprayed outside by our front door and back door. I sprayed the area with vinegar and the odor disappeared. I then put nylon stockings filled with moth balls near the doors to deter them. That also worked. I can't imagine how horrible it must be for you. Good luck. (04/22/2005)

By mkymlp

Are you sure it's from a cat? A friend had a raccoon get in his attic insulation and made a mess that smelled REALLY bad. They had to pull out all of the attic insulation and replace it and then patch up all the holes to get the smell to go away. This happened twice, believe it or not, to the same house! It was unoccupied for several months and the raccoon made a nest and raised its babies in there! (04/22/2005)

By guest

I work for a professional carpet and restoration supply company and we often deal with clients with similar situations.

There are two methods to rid the area of smells.

First and most cost effective is thermal fogging. You can purchase a thermal hot fogger at your local hardware store (they are sold for bug foggers), you must use a special product in the fogger which is a deodorant that will come out of the fogger in a smoke like fog which will penetrate all cracks and "mask" the problem. (solution is to be purchased from Carpet/restoration supply companies and cannot be water based)

The second is to use a ozone generator, this is a permanent solution as it will change the molecules from o2 to o3 removing the smell completely. You can usually find these at Fire/Flood restoration rental companies or call a carpet supply house to see if they will rent to you.

By Ann29

I had the very same problem. I bought some LIME, put on my shabby work clothes, and got on my hands and knees and sprinkled the powder under my house. Be sure to use gloves and goggles. And be prepared to get dirty, but it's worth it. Worked like a charm. We had feral cats in our neighborhood, hence the problem. Was awful during the summer months!

Good luck.
(04/23/2005)

By Brenda

My parents had the same problem with stray cats getting under their trailer and using it as a litter box and the only thing they found that worked is Lye but you have to be careful to cover up all parts of your body that will come in contact with it and wear one of those little white masks like a doctor would wear so you do not inhale the Lye but it works almost immediately. (04/23/2005)

By Dannielle Jenkins

A friend of mine had the same problem as you. When they went to replace the insulation they found a dead cat. That is where the smell was coming from. I am not sure what they used to finally get the smell out. But you might want to make sure that there isn't still a cat under there. (04/24/2005)

By Michele

I have never heard of using Lime for cat urine odor, but I would really like to know if it works. When we bought the house prior to the one we live in now, the tenant let the dog and cat use the bathroom on the floor on a regular basis. When we pulled up the carpet, there was a 3 foot radius in every corner where the concrete was literally saturated with urine. It was awful. We tried every kind of cleaner imaginable. Nothing worked. We then bought a can of Kilz Primer and painted the floor and about 3 feet high up the walls. We had to remove all of the baseboards and replace them in addition to all new carpet. It worked though! Good luck! (04/25/2005)

By Suzi Homemaker

Not sure it'll work for you, but spreading lime on the dirt beneath your house might. My parents bought a house with dog urine in one room so badly, it had soaked through the floors and settled in the crawl space. After we cleaned and cleaned and cleaned... the lime took care of the problem (04/26/2005)

By NancyP

Archive: Cats Under a Mobile Home

I live in a mobile home and have a lot of cats in my park. They go under my trailer and I am having trouble with a very bad urine odor. It also comes up in my heater vents. How can I get rid of this smell safely? Also, what can I use to keep the cats away?

Lisa Taylor from Magnolia, DE

Answers:

RE: Cats Under Under a Mobile Home

To keep the cats from going under the mobile home, pour ammonia around the outside. It sure keeps them out of garbage and off my back porch.
Good Luck with the bad odor!
Jo Ann (03/14/2007)

By jande54

RE: Cats Under Under a Mobile Home

I'm not sure if your mobile home is ever moved to a different place/position but if not (and after you've got rid of the smell-- good luck!) how about enclosing all the bottom (between the bottom of the trailer and the ground) with a wire net mesh, similar to chicken wire to stop any more animals going under there) Make sure there are no cats, etc trapped under there before you do it!
(03/14/2007)

By Ellie

Anything Under a Mobile Home

19 Jun 2007

Dear Sir or Madam...

I have just found a super, simple, 100% effective and very cheap
way to keep raccoons -- or for that matter, anything -- out from
under your mobile home.

Using the flat end of a grubbing hoe (also called a pick axe and
Hispanics know it as a "talache"), I made a simple trench around
the entire mobile home. The trench abuts the trailer and is no
more than perhaps 2-3 inches deep and no wider than the
blade of the grubbing hoe. In other words, you don't need
anything spectacularly deep or wide.

Next, I used a large bucket to collect a lot of rocks (up to, but
no larger than, fist size).

I then place these rocks around the entire perimeter of the trailer
and covered them with instant concrete mix.

VOILA!

It works like a charm! The 'coons no longer try to dig a hole
under the trailer.

My home is a double-wide, 60' long and 30' wide. I used 12
bags of ready-mix (less than $50 worth) and achieved instant
bliss -- except for those caught in underneath who could not
get out.

Well, I left the little rascals there a couple of days, where
they'd get hungry and thirsty, then opened the access door
to the trailer late in the evening, and they came running out.

This really really works. It's also very fast and easy to do.

Jim
(quote)(/quote) (06/19/2007)

By Jim

RE: Cats Under Under a Mobile Home

Lime is caustic -- can burn your eyes, your lungs. Do not use lime unless you are properly protected AND there are no more animals in that area where you are applying lime. The lime can hurt them too.

Mothballs are not only bad for them BUT for humans-- can cause respiratory distress. Same thing with Lye.

There ARE lots of safer deodorizing alternatives-- even WalMart carries them-- so does the
http://www.petfooddirect.com
and
http://www.petsmart.com
website

As for feral cats-- where is the compassion? Why isn't someone caring for them?

The feral ones are there (and all over this nation) because of Irresponsible members of man"kind" dumping them.

Volunteers and members of Alley Cat Allies,
http://www.alleycat.org
and many other organized or independent Feral Cat Groups -- AND -- individual men and women are getting these cats Spayed, Neutered, medicated, vaccinated and ear tipped. They are giving them COMPASSION. THIS is the way to deal with Feral Cats.

Check out the Alley Cat Allies website and the other website s it refers you to, and see how you can HELP. Most likely there is at least ONE organization or person in your area who does TNR for these feral cats.

Killing cats in most states now is a Felony.

We resonate with all of creation -- we are all connected. Why kill? Why poison? Why brutalize?

There is More than Enough Suffering in this world -- what can WE do to make things better for ALL living beings?
(07/12/2007)

By aattura

RE: Cats Under Under a Mobile Home

Lime is caustic - to Man and Beast.

Use

http://www.sweetpdz.com/dogs.htm

It's non-toxic...to Man and Beast (07/12/2007)

By aattura

RE: Cats Under Under a Mobile Home

There's only ONE sure fire way to get rid of REALLY NASTY odors. We had a fire that smoke damaged our entire home & this is what the Pros use: An Industrial Ozone Machine! You'll have to rent one. No, not the tiny "air cleaners" out there, but the HUGE, industrial size! These machines work so well, you have to leave the area while they run. (Because they take oxygen out of the air) Once you've done what you can to get to the bottom of the problem, Run an Industrial Ozone Machine for 2 or 3 days, you won't be sorry!

* I was amazed. Our whole house was unlivable, the burnt smoke smell was NASTY & permeated EVERYTHING. The carpet, the walls, the popcorn ceiling, the furniture. (Unless you've been through this you can't imagine how bad it really was!) This Industrial Ozone machine ran for 2 days, nonstop, & by the end of the second day ALL traces of the smoke smell were TOTALLY GONE from our home!

-----> You can either rent one of these machines from a rental company. If they don't have one, look under "Fire" in the yellow pages for contractors that specialize in Fire clean-up & ask them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the Urine smell under the trailer, well, I'd not only use the Ozone machine Inside the trailer, but also under the trailer for a day or to too.

---> Do not hurt the cats, (Just think, What if this was my pet?) You can probably get a "No-kill" trap from your local humane society. These cats may very well be strays, because, it's usually Male cats who are NOT fixed who spray & do this kind of "marking their territory" stuff... OR, under your trailer is the perfect "litter Box"... or a Great place to have baby kitties....

*If you already have skirting, you can buy about 50 feet x 10" of aluminum (or galvanized) roof flashing for under $20 at Home Depot... You can put this around the bottom of your skirting trailer & pound it about half way into the ground... This way animals can't dig under your skirting... If there are holes in your skirting, you can "Stuff" chicken wire in to the holes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
One more idea is to put a baby monitor with the sounds of predators (like dogs) barking, this may keep the cats away... You can search GOOGLE for "bird pests" & you'll get all kids of sites that sell recorders to put into trees to keep birds away. Who knows, these may also use for cats?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides the Ozone, the next best things to get rid of smells are White Vinegar & Borax.... You could sprinkle Borax & maybe baking soda too under the trailer & on the carpet & after a few days vacuum the trailer out. You can also leave bowels & small buckets of vinegar all around the inside & under the trailer... This should really make a difference.

* But what ever you do, DO NOT use Ammonia to clean with, as this confuses cats & Dogs because it smells like pee & causes them to want to mark their territory

* In the past, when I've had problems with rats, or other critters, I've called my local county health department & asked questions. They are happy to help...) I couldn't believe it when I found out from them that a rat can scale the side of a refrigerator!)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's something I got off the internet about getting rid of smells.

You may have something behind your wall, so the smell might keep coming back. But the following recipe will really help!
----> To get rid of the odor take a few shallow bowls of white vinegar. Put the bowls in your cupboards with the doors shut overnight. This will take the smell away.
---->To keep smell away. Take an old nylon or an old T-shirt cut into squares. Fill with equal parts Borax and Baking Soda. Tie string around. Hang these up with thumb tacks or hooks in a several places in your cupboards. This will help absorb odors. You need to change these about every month or so (when the smell comes back, just repeat the vinegar & borax/baking soda tricks)
--->You can also put a few cotton balls with a drop or 2 of Oil of Wintergreen on them in your cupboard if you are not storing open boxed foods in the cupboard (the smell can get into the boxes and affect the taste of foods) If your cupboard is used for dishes or canned goods etc. then the oil of wintergreen smells great and is natural.
---> to help absorb moisture as well as odor open a box of white chalkboard chalk and place in cupboard. (These hints for removing odor also work great for the trunk of your car or in old dresser drawers!)
----> for odors on your hands after cutting onion or garlic, or for use on a smelly cutting board, or inside plastic storage containers. Use about a half a teaspoon of dried mustard. Rub on wet hands & wash off. For plastic food containers: Put a bit into water, leave a while or overnight. For cutting board smells, sprinkle on sponge and wipe on cutting board, leave a little while, wash off well. This will make your hands & everything else smell fresh as a daisy! * note* Wash every bit of mustard off, and do not get into eyes, as this is hot! (Same mustard that is used with Chinese Pork with sesame seeds -- The kind that opens your sinuses!)
----> When cook fish, fill a shallow bowl with white vinegar and place next to pan with fish. This will stop fish from smelling up house! White Vinegar, Natures Odor Remover! ---AMAZING!--- (07/12/2007)

By Cyinda

Archive: Cats Under a Mobile Home

I live in a mobile home and cat sometimes squeeze through the skirting and go to the bathroom under our house. It is starting to smell. How to I remove the smell? It is all dirt under the house. Please help!

Shannon from MN

Feedback:

RE: Cats Under a Mobile Home

You didn't mention how they are getting under there. Do you have skirting around the underneath and they are getting in in the gaps? Or are you completely "un-skirted"?

I have done a lot of research on repelling cats because of problems with them leaving me "presents" in my garden/flowerbeds.

You can lay chicken wire around the areas they are getting in and under the trailer itself. Supposedly they don't like stepping on it (works for repelling raccoons, as well).

I have also heard that they hate the smell of citrus. So I take my used citrus rinds and grind them in to small pieces in a coffee bean grinder or food processor. Or you can just dice them with a knife into small pieces and then spread them liberally in the area they are getting in and under the home itself.

In addition to that I've heard that they don't like the smell of coffee grinds. So that might work for keeping them out and maybe deodorize as well.

Never use ammonia (use vinegar) for cat smells. Cat urine contains ammonia and they will continue to spray or "go" there in an attempt to mark their territory.

Thorny plants work well too like roses. They don't like the smell of lavender and rue plants either! So maybe some landscaping to keep them out and this works great as some more "curb appeal". Good luck!

And another thing, as a last resort, you can call animal control. Wild cats can be dangerous around children. (04/30/2008)

By J

RE: Cats Under a Mobile Home

We also used lime, under the trailer, and under the deck, also around the perimeter of the trailer. And it not only helped with the smell, it helped with fleas and ticks that were being tracked inside. I put a handkerchief over my mouth area, and just cupped it out and broadcast it freely. I had to get a 50 pound bag of lime.

We had a lot of cat problems under the trailer, and they also crawled and dug up into our insulation in the colder months. But, putting the lime down about every couple of months during the spring and summer really helps.

Our problem cleared up all the way when we got small dogs that policed the area, around and under the trailer for cats when they went outside. No more cat problems. No more stink problems. (05/02/2008)

By Glinda

Home and Garden Pest Control CatsNovember 29, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Mobile Homes in Snow
Winterizing Your Mobile Home
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
Remodeled Mobile Home
Remodeling A Mobile Home
Keeping Animals From Going Under a Mobile Home
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:24:49 AM on 10.0.0.57 in 783 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings