Homemade Children's Birthday Present Ideas

We are doing the 30 day challenge in Readers Digest for October. My daughter has a birthday party to go to for a little girl who is in 4th grade. I want to give her something special but not "buy" it. Any ideas?

Shawn from Katy, TX

Shawn, I'm not sure about the challenge you referred to. Can you buy parts to make something? A cute suggestion, if you can buy parts is to make a homemade gumball machine. Here is a great link for you: http://www.wrapcandy.com/Make-Gumball-Machines.php

It really depends on what kind of girl she is, but a lot of kids this age like to collect their friends' school pictures. Make her some scrap book pages with blanks for her to insert her pictures into. If you don't have extra paper around the house, you could always give her a "gourmet" gift basket. Measure out ingredients needed to make chocolate chip cookies and put them in little bags with ribbon tied around them. Then scour your cubbards for a cookie cutter or an unused (or looks that way) wooden spoon. Print the recipe up using cute backgrounds, and voila, you have a gift.

For either of these gifts you can go to shabbyprincess.com and download free scrapbook paper, then either use it in photoshop (if you know how, which I don't) or powerpoint (much easier for me!) to create cute designs and print them at home. You can also email them to Walgreens and pick them up in one hour for 19 cents.

I have done this since my children were in school now its time for the grandchildren. I love to make crafts plastic canvas, sewing ect. I let the children pick out different patterns whenever They and I have time to look at my books. Which I work on all year round that way whenever they go to something that requires a gift there is something they like ready to give.

Why not buy her some sort of arts and crafts set and let her make her own gift, if you really don't want to "buy" her something.

You might try letting your daughter make her friend a "Journal Jar" You can go to www.ask.com and then type in Journal Jar Slips and search. There are lots of different kinds of questions about family history, memories, etc to help kids to learn to put their thoughts down on paper. You simply print off the slips, clip them, fold them in half and put them into a decorated container with instructions to pick one a day ad answer it. You could include a notebook and pen for her to record her answers/thoughts in. Journaling is great for kids and adults as well. Great Stress Reliever!

Make her an apron (designer or trendy if needed), include some favorite family recipes, and include a couple of batches of cookies you have made. make coordinating hot pads and tote bag. Don't sew? record an original story or traditional fairy tale using her as the main character. Or write it down and draw an original picture to go with it. Do you have any vintage embroidered pillow cases or dresser scarves laying around? Those are great presents. I read the aticle and I would like to try it too.

Make necklaces and bracelets out of string and found objects. Spray paint aluminum can tops, paperclips, safety pins, buttons, etc. in metallic colors that are popular with the gift recipient to string. Or make your own beads from magazine pages by cutting the paper in strips, rolling and coating with Modge Podge. If you have some money in your budget, buy cool beads, jewelery wire and hooks from a craft store.

If you sew, find fun fabric and whip up some crazy pillow cases.

Cigar box purses are fun to make, too. Decopage the cigar box or leave it as-is. Secure a drawer handle for the purse handle, and attach hinges to the attached part of the lid so that it doesn't fall off with extended use.

I don't really have these materials used for these projects. Can you give me one with easier steps and normal materials?

My children's friends love spending time with our family. How about a coupon for a day of special activities? Pack a picnic lunch and go to the park. Or, if she's a real girly-girl; have a spa day at your house with beauty treatments geared towrds their age. Things like deep-conditioning their hair, painting nails and toes, etc. It is very cheap and easy to make your own face mask, sugar scrub, etc. Send her home with homemade bubble bath (mild hand soap and vanilla extract) for another day and new flavored lip gloss as party favors. They can also make their own decorated t-shirts. Very unique! Take lots of photos and make a mini album for both girls to remember the day.

Holidays and Parties Parties BirthdayOctober 2, 2008
A birthday cake with the number 11 on it.
11th Birthday Party Ideas for Girls
Raggedy Ann
Raggedy Ann Birthday Party Ideas
Two child's hand print ornaments.
Homemade Birthday Gift Ideas for Mom
Golden Birthday Present
Golden Birthday Present Ideas
🎄
🍂