Recycling School Supplies

Starting at the beginning of the school year (we started this in grade school), I let my children know that any school supplies that could be re-used the next year would be eligible for $1.00 per item. Example: dictionary - $1.00, geometry kit - $1.00, calculator - $1.00, etc. The items I bought were good quality and I would only pay $1.00 per item to the children if they brought them home in good condition.

Knowing this before the school year started, my children did very well and made some much needed vacation money from me at the end of the school year. Each year they look forward to this recycling money. My school supply costs went way down!

By Diane from Winnipeg, Manitoba

My grandsons school supply list consist of things like post it notes, (boys bring certain size, and girls bring different size), CRAYOLA crayons, they can't bring Rose Art brand, 4 boxes of kleenex, 48, YES 48 PENCILS, baggies in different sizes. It is ridiculous what the teachers are asking for, especially considering my son has 3 to get into school, and he has missed a week of work without pay due to gall bladder surgery. Alot of the items don't really seem like school supplies for my grandchildren, but for the teacher instead. Now I know my taxes are paying for some of these things the teacher asks for, so I am a little bothered by the items they are having to purchase. I realize teachers do spend some of their own money on stuff for the class, but surely they get an allowance to use each year that is state paid don't they? I live in Arkansas if someone wants to enlighten me about this.

This yr our kids are reusing backpacks and lunch pails. We also had them search their rooms for any pencils,crayons etc.. and we put them in an empty baby-wipes container. So they can use them for homework.

Photo of a back pack, colored pencils, paper and other school supplies.
Saving Money on School Supplies
Better Living Green Living ReusingAugust 22, 2006
School Supplies
Organizing School Supplies
A backpack full of school supplies.
Finding Help Getting School Clothing and Supplies
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School
🎄