Keeping Neighbor's Cats Out of House and Garden

How can I stop next door neighbor's cats from coming in the house and garden? As it's almost summer here allegedly and I want to be able to leave the door open.

By pinksky from UK

Do you have a screen or storm door? We open the window on our door to let in fresh air, but the screen keeps bugs (and cats) out. The screens can be torn up by cat claws, but we got some replacement screening that is heavier, and made to resist claws (I think it's made with fiberglass).

Other than a physical barrier like that, I don't know what would keep the cats out. A dog? :-)

We have problems with stray cats in our gardens, too. For flowerbeds, we used some landscape fabric and wood mulch -- it seems they don't care for the texture. I didn't want to use the fabric in my raised vegetable beds . . . keeping my fingers crossed that they stay out. I think that I'll do some mulch soon -- the plants are getting big enough.

I've heard people say they scatter citrus peels or blood meal to scare away cats. I tried orange peels years ago, but it didn't seem to help.

Good luck, and enjoy the warmer weather!

Thanks for your suggestions I will look into getting a storm door as we have virtually tried alsorts and have nearly waved defeat as since the last few days since its been hot. The cats have scarpered for now. But it is a pain to keep watching out for them.

How about spraying them with water? Cats hate water.

Buy a bag of citronella tea lights at Canadian tire and put them all around where you don't want the cats and they will keep away. They don't like the smell. It works really well and lasts for quite a while. It was great for me.

I had that problem a few yrs ago. Someone told me to sprinkle cayenne pepper over the area where the cats went. That stuff is very expensive. We bought 2 large bottles of it, sprinkled it over the side of our yard, & then it rained the next day! So that didn't work, & I wasn't willing to spend the money again. I thought I'd try something else. I clean up my dog's poop every other day. This is going to sound gross, but it worked. I collected a week's worth of doggie poop & scattered it over the area in our side yard where I was having trouble finding cat poop all the time. Well, the dog poop eventually disintegrated, & we never had a cat problem again.

Last summer we used a super soaker,which is a bit like a long range water pistol,at least with that Im a crack shot,though at times feel mean to the cats,but you have to what you have to do. Sounds like a line from a John Wayne Creosote works for a while but its supposed to be illegal here in UK to use as it contains benzine or similar.

Home and Garden Pest Control CatsMay 28, 2009
A cat in a house plant.
Keeping Cats Out of House Plants
A cat sitting in a garden bed.
Keeping Cats Out of the Garden
Raccoon sitting in the garden near a flower pot.
Keeping Raccoons Out of Your Garden
A photo fo a carrot growing in a vegetable garden.
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garden