Cooking Cabbage - Categories:

VegetablesFood Tips

Cooking Cabbage

When cooking cabbage, place a small tin cup or can half full of vinegar on the stove near the cabbage. It will absorb the order.

By Peggy

I haven't tried this with cabbage but it will probably work. When cooking brussels sprouts I add a celery leaf to the pot. It cuts down the odor and takes the bitterness out of the sprouts. It's amazing what that one little celery leaf can do! And you don't have to buy celery, just pinch off a leaf and toss it in the bag with your sprouts.

April 7, 2008 Flag

I have found a way to reduce the amount of cabbage smell that emanates in a kitchen when it's cooking! Want to know the secret? Freeze it! Cut up your freshly bought cabbage, wash it, pat it dry with kitchen paper and portion it into ziploc bags -press out the air and seal. Then pop in your freezer.

When you come to cook it; it takes about 1-2 minutes in a pan of boiling water OR alternatively stir-fry it in a little olive oil which I like to do. Delicious and saves on the cooking time.

And, quite by accident, I found there's no lingering cabbage smell in the kitchen so now I get to eat cabbage more often in my diet and we all know it's very good for you!

Source: I found this out myself!

By Monique from Somerset, UK

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesOctober 18, 2004
Storing Cabbage
Storing Cabbage
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
butterfly of an imported cabbage worm
Garden Insects: Imported Cabbage Worms
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 4:56:40 AM on 10.0.1.242 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.