VegetablesFood Tips

Cooking Cabbage

Category Vegetables

When cooking cabbage, place a small tin cup or can half full of vinegar on the stove near the cabbage. It will absorb the order.

By Peggy

I haven't tried this with cabbage but it will probably work. When cooking brussels sprouts I add a celery leaf to the pot. It cuts down the odor and takes the bitterness out of the sprouts. It's amazing what that one little celery leaf can do! And you don't have to buy celery, just pinch off a leaf and toss it in the bag with your sprouts.

I have found a way to reduce the amount of cabbage smell that emanates in a kitchen when it's cooking! Want to know the secret? Freeze it! Cut up your freshly bought cabbage, wash it, pat it dry with kitchen paper and portion it into ziploc bags -press out the air and seal. Then pop in your freezer.

When you come to cook it; it takes about 1-2 minutes in a pan of boiling water OR alternatively stir-fry it in a little olive oil which I like to do. Delicious and saves on the cooking time.

And, quite by accident, I found there's no lingering cabbage smell in the kitchen so now I get to eat cabbage more often in my diet and we all know it's very good for you!

Source: I found this out myself!

By Monique from Somerset, UK

That's really helpful my partner complains about the smell everytime I cook cabbage!

Can the cabbage be used for coleslaw after it is frozen? This is a great idea. I put a bowl of lemon juice on the stove and that greatly reduces the smell also. Thanks for the tip! God bless.

<b>Editor's Note</b> I think the cabbage would have a different consistency, and not make the best coleslaw.

HEY MONIQUE, TRY THIS ONE. AFTER YOU TAKE YOUR CABBAGE OUT OF THE FREEZER, WHICH IS A HECK OF AN IDEA BY THE WAY, CHOP UP SOME ONION AND SOME BACON, DROP IT INTO A PAN WITH A LITTLE BIT OF OIL. SAUTE THAT FOR A SHORT TIME AND THEN DUMP YOUR CABBAGE IN ON TOP OF IT. SALT, PEPPER AND GARLIC POWDER TASTES FANTASTIC ON THIS. MIX IT ALL UP AND KIND OF FRY IT FOR AWHILE,AFTER YOU'VE DONE THIS FOR A FEW MINUTES, PUT A TIGHT FITTING LID ON IT. COOK IT ON LOW TO MED. LOW AND REMOVE LID EVER SO OFTEN AND STIR IT AROUND GOING ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM TO GET ANYTHING OFF THAT MIGHT BE GETTING TOO BROWN. THIS IS NOT A HEALTHY RECIPE, BUT UUUUMMMMMM IT'S SO GOOD!!!! {TO QUOTE MR. FOOD!!!} CindyM56

I just need to know how long cabbage will keep in the freezer.