Spaghetti with Onions and Eggs - For A Dollar!

Last winter, when things were REALLY tough for my husband (he is a self employed craftsman). We were watching every penny, literally! This was a recipe I came up with one night when the cupboard was particularly bare. He loved it and so did I! We have enjoyed it several times since, even though business has improved a bit. Hope it helps any of you who are in a tight corner. Enjoy!

• 1/4 lb. spaghetti, broken into smallish pieces ($.70/lb) = 17 cents
  • 1 egg ( I always buy these on sale- $1.00/doz.)= 8 cents
  • Ad
  • 1 medium onion, sliced VERY thin ($.59/lb.) = 15 cents
  • 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese ($3.99/lb) = 10 cents
  • 1/4 cup milk (again I always buy on sale. $2.50/gallon) = 16 cents

Total for spaghetti = 66 cents!

• 5-6 baby carrots, cut into matchsticks ($.89/1 lb bag) = 10 cents
  • 1/2 large or 1 small zucchini, cut into matchsticks ($.99/ lb.) = 24 cents

Total for veggies = 34 cents!

Total for dinner for two= ONE DOLLAR!

Directions:

Saute very thinly sliced onions until just BEFORE they brown, just a few crispy edges is good. I use olive oil, which I can get wholesale, but any good vegetable oil or even butter will do.

In a separate pan, lightly saute the veggies, or you can steam them or microwave them to a crisp/tender stage.

Prepare broken up spaghetti as box directs.

When pasta is done, drain and immediately break 1 egg into it, stirring quickly to coat the spaghetti. The heat of the pasta and the pan cooks the egg. Do not do this over heat!

Add the cheese and stir again, making sure that all is well mixed.

Add milk and give a quick stir (milk will absorb and make a nice coating).

Put pasta on plate and lightly heap sauteed onions on top. Put vegetables on plate next to pasta.

A few grinds of black pepper and maybe a little more cheese sprinkled on and you are ready to enjoy.

(This recipe doubles and triples well, can be amended to include bits of cooked meats, fish or veggies, in other words, LEFTOVERS! LOL I have even served it to guests - they loved it))

Dinner for a Dollar! Who can beat that?

Servings: 2
Time:10 Minutes Preparation Time
10-15 Minutes Cooking Time

By Laura from At the Beach, NJ

I can't wait to try this one. We are also having problems stretching money but then again who isn't?

Thanks for your wonderful idea, have anymore you can share with us or me alone?

Thank you. Paula Jo Carr

dpcarr@bellsouth.net

Great idea! Thanks for posting this recipe.

November 4, 2010 Flag

Boil up some spaghetti, whilst boiling, fry some chopped garlic in olive oil do not let it colour, beat up some eggs. Drain spaghetti, pour into pan with garlic and olive oil, mix well to coat the spaghetti with oil. Remove from the heat and pour over the beaten eggs and mix well. Season well with ground black pepper and salt. Sprinkle over with chopped fresh coriander (cilantro), optional.

By reb1234

Answers:

Quick and Cheap Spaghetti and Eggs Dish

We do this recipe a lot - and it is great for adding fresh vegetables to. Lightly steam fresh spinach or broccoli and toss with the olive oil and garlic. Grape or Cherry Tomatoes sliced in half over the top is also very refreshing. Great way to get some veggies into what my husband and I call "comfort food" (09/25/2004)

By QueenBeeCrafts

Quick and Cheap Spaghetti and Eggs Dish

Is the beaten egg not cooked? (10/02/2004)

By Mildred

Quick and Cheap Spaghetti and Eggs Dish

I think the eggs cook because eggs cook quickly and your are putting them into a hot pan with the garlic and veggies.
(10/02/2004)

By Susan

Food and Recipes Recipes PastasNovember 5, 2010
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Photo of an onion harvest.
Harvesting Onions
🎉
🎄