Easy Yule Logs

contest winner icon

These make great Christmas gifts with just a little work.

• 1 short piece of log 2 inches in diameter
  • 3 tea lights
  • 1 small spray of Christmas greenery

Tools needed

• drill with hole saw and drill bits
  • 1 table saw or hand saw

Cut your small log to length. With hole saw a little bigger than the diameter of your tea lights cut holes in one end of the log. This is your top. Now take the log and turn it over and run it through your table saw to take off a small slice so it will sit flat. Turn back over and put in your tealights. At the other end of your log on the top drill a hole the size of your decoration and glue in place. Add some ribbons and this card:

Light the first on Christmas Eve,

To light the way for Christ so all may see,

Light the next On Christmas Day to celebrate your joy,

That God sent us his own baby boy,

And now light the third on New Years Eve,

It will bring in good luck as the New Year leaves.

Is this Debra from CCU?

Very cool! Thanks!

sounds really nice. do you have to clean the log somehow??? bugs and such

Do you have a photo of the logs? I think possibly if you "bake" the log in a 200-degree oven for about an hour or two it might take care of the bugs that may be present but not seen.... anyone know for sure? The same goes for pinecones & nuts used for crafting.

One of these was one of the BEST gifts I have ever received since the giver made it themselves. I loved it for years! It is especially nice if one has access to white-barked BIRCH or Aspen wood and has a single thin red ribbon woven through it! But any word will work and still both warms the heart, AND reminds us that "Jesus is the Light of the World." God bless you in your gift making/giving, just as God did and continues to do for us.

If you bake the log in the oven for bug control I would make sure it gets good and hot. I have never had this problem with logs or pinecones ever. But I suppose it could be a problem in other parts of the country. Hope you enjoy and I will post a picture of the finish log in a week or so.

YES! Send a picture these sound nice.

I would love to see a picture of this, but I guess I get the idea. I've seen similar items in mail order catalogs, but they were very expensive and I always thought I could just make one with pieces cut from tree branches.

By the way, at the end of the poem, I think you mean "as the Old Year leaves."

Making a Yule Log
Making a Yule Log
Crafts Christmas GiftsSeptember 12, 2006
A wood stove with firelogs in it.
Using Fire Logs
Newspapers rolled into logs for burning.
Making Newspaper Logs
Maple Yule Logs
Maple Yule Log Recipes
Fake Logs
Making Fake Logs