Breed Information: American Eskimo Dog

Breed Description: Affectionately referred to as the "Eskie," the American Eskimo Dog has a beautiful, thick white coat that forms a lion-like main around the neck, a black nose, erect, triangular ears and a curly tail. This breed is divided into three small to medium sizes: Toy, Miniature and Standard.

Group: Non-sporting

Purpose of Breed: Companionship

Country of Origin: Originally from European Spitz or Nordic breeds, they arrived in America with their immigrated European owners during the 19th century and developed into the "American Spitz" and were later renamed "American Eskimo Dog."

Average Size: The breed is separated into three distinct sizes. Toy (9 to 12 inches at withers, 6-10 lbs.), Miniature (over 12 and up to 15 inches at the withers, 10-20 lbs.) and Standard (over 15 and up to 19 inches-18-35 lbs.)

Color(s): The coat is always white or white with biscuit cream markings.

Coat Type: A thick double coat consisting of a dense undercoat and a longer, straight outer coat.

Grooming: This breed sheds an average amount and its thick coat should be brushed several time per week-daily when shedding. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: The American Eskimo Dog lives well in an apartment and loves to take walks on a leash.

Temperament: This breed is highly intelligent and very trainable, but needs firm handling and should be thoroughly socialized when young. They are loyal and energetic dogs, and have a tendency to bark and be wary of strangers until introduced.

Common Ailments: Generally healthy, but attention should be paid to tear ducts and the coat should be maintained to prevent fleas and dermatitis.

Life Expectancy: Averages 15 years

Trivia: In the late 1800s, the American Eskimo Dog was popularly used as a trick-dog in traveling circuses throughout the United States.

More Information: American Eskimo Dog Club of America

[Sigh] Looking at that beautiful picture brings back many wonderful memories of my own Eskie, the late Kiana, God rest her soul. I miss her so much. I enjoyed the picture and the information. :D

Hi there, I'm looking for a loving and caring dog to give to my mum who has just broken up with my dad.

Editor's Note: Try http://www.petfinder.com There are many kinds of dogs, just look in your area (put your zip code in the search) for the breed or breeds you are looking for and also check the ads in your area.

My Loyal companion Gypsy! She is a Miniture American Eskimo has been with me 14 years this month. I got her when she was only 5 weeks old. Smart breed. She manipulates me with her bark. She knows how to get her way. This is no doubt the best breed of Dogs for companionship.

American Eskimo Dog
American Eskimo Dog Breed Information and Photos
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds American EskimoMarch 24, 2006
Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
American Staffordshire Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Cairn Terrier
Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
American Girl Doll With White Hat, Braids and Sweater
Saving Money on an American Girl Doll
🎄