How to Kill a Passionfruit Vine

We have a tiny backyard and decided to grow a passionfruit vine on a arch. It grew like wild fire and everyday for the last 3 years I have pulled out passionfruit suckers from our garden. It has taken over a third of our garden and we set fire to the vine on the arch and pulled out the root. That was a month ago and we have more suckers than ever. My husband put weed killer directly onto each sucker but more are coming everyday. Please help we are desperate. We live in Australia with hot weather and we never once fed or tended this plant. Melinda from Australia

I am afraid the only thing you can do is completely dig, dig, and dig until you've gotten it all.

Melinda you are lucky I have tried to grow a passion fruit vine for yrs. with success I also live in W.A. Yours Kay.

See if you can find Roundup, it will kill anything. Make sure you only touch the Passionfruit. Check at a garden shop, or if you have a Wal Mart check there. Good Luck Sandi

go on vacation for a week and let me take care of it! its always worked in the past!...of course just kidding!...good luck, i personally have the oposite problem, i cant seem to get anything to grow!...

Its probably not the passionfruit that's growing - it will be suckers from the rootstock the passionfruit was grafted onto. I would allow the suckers to get a bit bigger and then cut them one by one and paint the cut area - IMMEDIATELY - with neat glyphosate, (Roundup or any glyphosate will do). If you wait the plant will start to heal over the cut. What you are trying to do is get the weedkiller into the system of the plant. This is how I've killed wattles that kept shooting back so it may work. In theory it should work just painting the shoots but as its not you have nothing to lose by trying this. There must be some root left in the ground for the suckers to be reappearing. Just keep at it - you'll win in the end!

If you prefer an organic solution sheet mulching the entire area with 8-12 sheets of wet newspaper and covering with straw and grass clippings will smother it. The area covered needs to be wide enough so it hasn't got the strength to grow out under the edge. Once deprived of light it will eventually die and your soil will be the better for being kept cooler and moister with the mulch.

You could also try the CSIRO, CALM or the Department of Agriculture for advice, (find them in the phone book government section), as it may be a declared noxious weed in your area if it is so prolific.

Regards

Jo (also in Oz)

Thanks everybody for the feedback hubby has got a busy weekend set up for him thanks to you guys

one bit of advice...

roundup only works by killing the chlorophyll of the plant...in order for it to do that, there needs to be leaves! most people think that you should cut the plant and then hit it with roundup...this is not true. if anything, allow the plants to grow for a bit and shoot them with roundup...

Please don't kill it!

Keep it cut back and eat the fruit. Don't kill it!

Anybody ever heard of Monsanto? Don't use round-up! Super bugs and genetically modified food. Monsanto makes round-up. Think of the kids.

Are the suckers good? I live in the desert and my plant is thriving. I love it. It makes my sandy area look so lush. Will the suckers become a big plant as well? I would so love to shade my whole carport with it to lower the 107 degree weather I get in the shade when it is 120 degrees out. It's 6/25/2013 and it's 94 in the shade here in Salton City.

In order to maximise uptake of glyphosate/roundup better to scrape the stems for 10-20 cm up from the base and paint without cutting thru the stem. I use a shoe polish container with glyphosate and the sponge to apply to the scraped stem (within a few seconds of scraping).

My passion flower comes back every year larger than the year before! It completely took over my other flowers and is now coming up sporadically in my yard and now my neighbor's yard..i tried pulling all the root system out, but guess what?!? That sucker has totally come back! I don't know how to stop it! I want to try and grow in a small trough or something because they are beautiful and the bees love it and everyone comments on the wonderful scent that it provides!

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJanuary 27, 2005
Growing Bean Vine Crops
Growing Vine Crops
Using Tomatoes That Froze on the Vine
Using Tomatoes That Froze on the Vine
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
🎉
🎄