Trace Patterns Off Computer Screen

Don't despair if you don't have a printer or ink to print patterns off the net. Tape a sheet of paper to the top of your screen, and trace the pattern with a pencil. I have done this many, many times, and am well pleased with the results.

By Melody Y. from Sedalia, MO

Hi, that is an excellent idea! I'm an artist and am always looking for design ideas. Right now, I am out of black ink! Thank you for a great idea!

Wondering if this will work with a LCD monitor??

I think that sounds like a terrible idea, especially with the new LCD screens. You don't put your fingers on it, munch less a pencil. I gently wiped a gnat type insect off my LCD it scratched!

Perhaps you are using the old crt tube with glass.

Buying a printer is much cheaper than replacing a damaged screen.

Just my two cents.

Ok, so you put window glass or a piece of thick see-through plastic over the screen. I think it's still a good idea, maybe because my printer needs ink.

What in the world are you tracing and with what kind of marker, the thin tipped school markers? The markers on plastic theme covers or tracing paper should never scratch because they are felt. It sounds like a workable plan if done carefully. It would certainly work on non-LCD screens, right? God bless you. : )

Just make sure you are using some kind of "pencil" that won't bleed through the paper or make an indentation on your screen. I wouldn't want to try it on my LCD screen - a new printer (as low as $50) would be a lot less expensive than a new (at least $130) monitor!

I've been thinking to post that trick for all the Thriftyfun Users for such a long time that I am glad someone else did it ! It works perfectly well and I will add another accessory trick to that first one : use the zoom in the tool box (upper right corner of the screen) to have the exact size you need for your pattern. I did this to copy the pattern of a fish I wanted to paint on a box.

Using the zoom I set the image to the exact size I needed. I copied it from the screen with a tracing paper. I use a very soft pencil (at least 2 or 3 B on the graphite scale) and it doesn't damage the screen. Then I "paste" it on the box using a good old blue carbon paper. I just hope they will keep on manufacturing this carbon paper for many years as it save so much time. It is one of my most rewarding uses of the

Internet especially when I think of the price of the cartridges of my printer : 2 genuine cartridges one for black one for colours is half the price of my printer!

Happy copying on the screen and Happy New Year !

Catherine

Crafting Tools
Crafting Tips and Tricks
Crafts AdviceJanuary 16, 2008
Cross Stitch
Cross Stitch Tips and Tricks
Quilting Tips and Tricks, Nine patch quilt block and tools.
Quilting Tips and Tricks
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
🎉
🎄