Uses For Old Keys

I love to find new uses for old things. I have tons of keys and was wondering if anyone had any idea what could be done with them?

A wind chime? Use fishing line to tie them to a stick

Make a Christmas wreath with them. Paint them green, red, or gold. Sprinkle with glitter. Hot glue to a circle of wood, styrofoam, etc.... Add bows or whatever.

How about "Santa's Magic Key". Make the note below and attach it to the key with a ribbon.

"We don't have a chimney for you to climb through, but if you don't visit my our house I don't know what I'll do.

Some say you are magic and can use any old key. As long as we hang it out in a place you're sure to see.

So we're leaving this old key right outside our door

Saying our prayers, jumping in bed, and we won't worry anymore."

I've also seen them framed in groups or by themselves in shadow boxes. You could use old newspaper or scrapbook paper to get the look shown.

Okay, two more ideas and I'm done! :)

Making some jewelry (earrings, bracelets, pendants or even keychains) would be cool.

Another idea is to embellish addressbooks or scrapbook pages with them. Good luck!

My sister is collecting them to make a squash blossom style necklace.

I've seen them used in bird cages for the birds to play with.

Or make a "keyring" for the little ones to keep in their purses. Or put a few on a split ring for the babies to play with. (sterilize first) Or, slip them in the hems of curtains to weigh the curtains down so they will hang straighter.

If you have a framed mirror or can find one cheap. Glue the keys to the frame in whatever order or fashion you want. It is great for changing your boring old mirror into something that will make people stop and say wow!

You can also use the keys in card making or scrap booking, altered art. Their are many many uses for your keys. Just think outside the box!

Our daughter made a beautiful sounding wind chime from old keys. The top of the wind chime was the bottom of a two liter soda bottle. Holes were punched with an icepick and nylon string used to hang the keys. It has lasted 18 years; this year I restrung it. It has a beautiful tone.

Please don't give old (or new) keys to infants or toddlers. They are a lead poisoning hazard.

http://www.ucsfchildcarehealth.org/pdfs/factsheets/leadinkeysen011804.pdf-

If you have any left and want to be done with them, you might want to give them to a school - - to use as "counters" to help younger kids with math skills. I had a small box of them in my second grade classroom and the kids loved them!

I saw a TV show where they soldered/welded them together to make tables, plant stands, and other stuff. You need lots of keys, planning, and a great bit of imagination, but the items looked really neat.

Use as a paper weight.

make beautiful antique necklaces.....

Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
Crafts Recycled CraftsOctober 8, 2008
Various keys hanging from hooks.
Organizing Keys
Keys hanging on a row of hooks.
Remembering Your Keys
Keys on Keyring
Keeping Track of Your Keys
Man Looking Keys Locked in Car
Solutions for Keys Locked in Car
🎄