What is Hamburger?

There are so many mouthwatering recipes on this site that use "hamburger". Is this just ground beef or is it a special mixture? We only know hamburger as a ready made frozen or fresh meat patty. Can anyone help?

Sandra from Ireland

In the US we use the word interchangeably with ground round, ground sirloin, ground chuck, etc. I like a 73 fat/27 lean mix to make hamburgers and meatloaf and an 80/20 or 85/15 mix for casseroles. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your reply thriftyboo. I thought it must have have spices or flavouring of some sort added! I'm off to try out some of these delicious recipes. Isn't this a great site? :)

Thriftyboo gave you a wonderful description. Wish I could have done the same - just in person! I've always wanted to go to Ireland - my maiden name is Burke! Enjoy your hamburger - however you cook it!

Tripleb, My maiden name is Burke too! Where are you from? I was raised in Chicago, but now live in southern Illinois.

yes, it is just plain ground beef....

Cead Mile Failte! Where do you live in Ireland, Sandra? I'm 4th generation Irish living in the USA - Georgia. My maiden name is Sullivan. My family originated in Northern Ireland - Protestant branch. I've been to Ireland twice and loved every minute spent there and all the people I met.

Everyone has a personal preference but to me, chuck has the most flavor. I don't always do this (it depends upon what's on special at the market) but I like to grind my own chuck into hamburger. I generally prefer about an 20/80% fat to lean ratio, but that really depends in part on the quality of beef and what I'm cooking. A lot of the flavor is provided by fat, so some fat is necessary. However the more flavorful the lean meat, the less fat you may need. Just grind it together in a meat grinder to the texture you prefer for whatever you're making; I grind pretty coarse for chili and beans, somewhat finer for hamburger sandwiches, and finer still for hot dog chili. I tend to be a bit picky but in short, 'ground beef' is stuff that used to be part of a cow and has been run through a grinder. Here in the US it is usually sold somewhat loosely packed with no seasonings or anything, just beef. Its main attribute is its versatillity; many excellent dishes require this stuff along with various veggies, seasonings, and sometimes cheese.

Hamburger is ground beef. In Pennsylvania Amish country they call it hamburg.

I absolutely love this web site! The tips, recipes, jokes, and ideas are all fun to read. It is heartwarming to see so many people respond when someone has a question or problem. I feel an extra burst of pleasure when I read a post from someone in another country. It's like I just met a new friend that I normally would never have the opportunity to meet! I love it when folks indicate where they live. I think it would be really great if everyone would end their post with this bit of information! I believe we have a circle of friendship that circles the globe on this web site! Thank You "Thrifty Fun" and keep up the good work!

Grandma Margie from Missouri in the USA

Hamburger is the lowest "cut" of ground beef. It's what's left over after all the other cuts of beef are taken.

You can also buy ground round, ground chuck, ground sirloin, which are ground up cuts of beef.

You can also get choice beef or even prime beef ground up--that's the quality grade.

We use ground sirloin choice, as the best balance of flavor and price. We always buy it in frozen patties, so storage is easier and longer.

Since lower cuts and lower grades of beef have higher fat content, you may want to get the best grade you can afford. You may pay more for a higher grade, but there is less shrinkage, thus less waste.

BTW, the Sonic double hamburger is 900 calories. You can imagine why I never eat hamburgers out.

My ancestors have been traced to Ireland also. Would love to know for sure.Anyone out there doing genealogy in Ireland? Here is a great one skillet hamburger supper.

Great Granny Vi

From Darlene 6-2004

One large skillet Dinner

Brown" Lean " hamburger ( About 1 to 1-1/2 lbs)

add one chopped onion & let brown with hamburger.

Drain any excess grease.

Add 1 can stewed cut tomatoes

1 can Rotel ( tomato salsa)

2 cans nacho or chedder cheese soup,undeluted.

blend together.Add 1 small head chopped cabbage. simmer until cabbage is tender.

Serve with hot cornbread or warm crusty bread.

Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatJanuary 22, 2006
Hamburger Slider
Hamburger Slider Recipes
Photo of a hamburger with a homemade bun.
Homemade Hamburger Bun Recipes
Hamburger Jerky Recipes
Hamburger Jerky Recipes
🎄