Freezing Baking Soda and Baking Powder

Does anyone know this information? Can I freeze baking powder and/or baking soda without any ill affect on my end baking product?

S. Walle from Duncanville, TX

Best Answer

My mom kept her baking powder in the freezer and I do too. You do it so it will keep longer. It works just fine.

Tricia

Best Answer

jrslady is correct! I have kept my baking soda and powder in the freezer for years. It's a shame to go to all the trouble to bake a scratch recipe and have all your hard work ruined for lack of storing your ingredients properly. I also store my Bisquick, flours, and cornmeal in the freezer.

Pardon me - but whay would you want to freeze it? Isn't it a chemical mixture? My mother always kept it on the shelf - me, too - I don't think you have to treat it with much care- maybe put it in a can or jar???

Pamphyila - Baking Powder loses it's potency over time - I know, I've thrown my share of unused baking powder out. Small tip: To find out if baking powder is still usable: Put a very small amount in a very small amount of water. If it bubbles, it's still good. If it doesn't bubble, throw it out, it's no longer a working baking powder.

I also keep mine in the freezer and it always works fine when I need it for baking.

I never throw baking soda away. I actually wind up storing it if it goes bad and using it as a face scrub (with handsoap) or to scrub the sink/bathtub with. The gritty texture works really well even when the always useful chemical has gone away!

I am sure that if you freeze your baking powder you will need to throw it later :(

Baking Soda
Freezing Baking Soda and Baking Powder
Food and Recipes FreezingJuly 17, 2006
Measuring spoon with homemade baking powder.
Homemade Baking Powder Recipes
Baking Powder
Storing Baking Powder
Substitution for Baking Powder
Substitution for Baking Powder
Two bare feet.
Homemade Foot Powder
🎉
🎄