Frozen Unblanched Carrots

I have already frozen the carrots but did not blanch them. Are they still safe to eat?

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

The carrots will be safe to eat, but they may not have quite the same texture after you cook them. I have never frozen them without blanching, but I have frozen shredded carrots for carrot cake, and they are fine. One freezes fruit such as raspberries or strawberries raw. They are perfectly fine to eat.

Louise, Nipawin, SK

Best Answer

Hi,

I just used some carrots I had tossed into the freezer without blanching them. I steamed them, but the texture was tough and rubbery. They were pretty bad. I ended up putting them in the blender and used them to thicken chicken stock for vegetable soup. The soup was wonderful.

Best Answer

Carrots will be safe to eat even after 3 months, my advice on preparing the frozen unblanched carrots is to defrost them, pan fry with a little butter and brown sugar till golden brown. Try this and you will freeze more carrots again. Also try using them in a beef stew (sorry from South Africa).

Judith,

The carrots will be okay a month but since you did not blanch them the natural enzyme action will still be moving ahead and the carrots will begin to start losing their quality. This will later affect the nutritional value of them and also the taste. I know its easier not to blanch but for longer freezer storage make sure you blanch.

Freezing Carrots
Freezing Carrots
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesOctober 22, 2007
carrots
Saving Money on Carrots
Canned Carrots
Canning Carrots
Cutting Carrots
Cutting Carrots
Growing Carrots
Growing Carrots
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 4:41:00 PM on 10.0.1.211 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.