Pudgy (West Highland White Terrier)

contest winner icon

Pudgy was 10 years old on Valentine's Day, He is a Westie (West Highland White Terrier). My dear, late husband insisted for years that he really wanted a dog. We decided on a Westie because of their sunny attitude and good health.

When I went to pick him out at the breeder's, he was in an enclosure with his two siblings. Two of them were at the fence, looking happy and wagging tails. Pudgy, standing at the back of the enclosure, rushed forward and, like a cheerleader, jumped onto his brothers' backs making a pyramid, then stood up with his paws at the top of the fence and I was hooked.

I did NOT, however, understand this was Alpha dog behavior. He's a wonderful joy-filled handful and has kept my spirits soaring through the loss of my entire family (human) and my own serious illnesses. He makes getting up in the morning worthwhile!

Pudgy likes to climb up into my lap and nap, but he also protects the entire neighborhood by making sure I know a car or jogger has just gone by. He'll play fetch for hours if I'm up to it, and if he can get hold of a sock, he's as happy as can be! (See photo of him, his favorite ball and just-claimed sock).

Here in Michigan, we get a lot of snow, and it drifts up in front of the garage door. If we can't get out the front door because of snowdrifts, we head out through the garage. One morning after it had snowed all night, I opened the garage door and the drift was taller than he was! He just stood there looking at it for a minute, and then turned his head back over his shoulder to look at me, as if to say "Do we have a 'Plan B?" Fortunately, I keep puppy pads handy in case of such emergencies, so he was able to find peace until I got the drifts cleared away.

By Polly from Michigan

There's one thing I simply must add to my posting. If you want a great dog, go to a rescue center or the ASPCA. And if it's a purebred you want, all the more reason to go to the ASPCA or a rescue. If you *still* can't find a purebred, find a local breeder and ask to see the puppies there. You'll meet the breeder, the puppy's parents and get to see the facilities. If they refuse, they're probably a puppy mill and I *know* I don't have to tell any of my fellow dog-lovers what that means! Horrors galore! My breeder had staff just to play with and socialize the puppies. They were held, tickled, they got them a little used to leashes. That's what the ASPCA does, too, so try them first. Thanks. I shall now get down off my soapbox.

Thanks for the good word on not supporting puppy mills. I saw one once and the female dogs were in rabbit cages for life, no cleanup and billions of flies, making batch after batch of puppies as fast as possible. They looked so terrible but the business was lucrative of course. I never will forget that one.

Your little guy looks perfect, love that bright face! Don't you love that natural perky ear? PS sorry about the grief that has been in your life, seems very sad.

Hi Polly, I just had to give feedback when I saw Pudgy. This is Simon. I too bought Simon 9 yrs ago from a "breeder". I didn't know any better and poor Simon was so sick as a puppy and even now. He has a blood disorder that makes his blood not clot when he bleeds. He's been on his death bed more than twice. He is our family member and if I had to do it again I would- but, I would try and find the purebred through a shelter. You live and learn. Take Care - Denise

Pudgy is adorable and so cute! I love when doggies lay like that. He is just too cute. I really understand the blessings of a doggie. I have my mom's dog as she told me that I could not got with her and that I could love the puppy for her. He kept me going through loss of my mom. I have a poo mix either malti or bishon? just a lot of love.

West Highland White Terrier being held by a young girl.
West Highland White Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Pets Pet PagesApril 4, 2009
American Staffordshire Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Welsh Terrier
Welsh Terrier Breed Information
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
West Virginia Christmas Charities
Yorkshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos
🎉
🎄