Document Historical Events with Photography

One way that I document historical events in a personal way is to take a photograph of the television screen when major events are being broadcast. I started this on 9/11. Even though I was a college student at the time, I could sense that this was something I wanted to capture and simply getting a newspaper wasn't enough. So, I took a few pictures of the TV that day. I wanted to capture the headlines the news was using. For some reason, as I look back on those pictures, it's very personal because it shows that I was there witnessing the event as it unfolded.

I did the same for when Hussein was captured, when Obama was elected, and now last night when the news about Bin Laden broke. I'm not sure if my children and grandchildren will care, but I can only imagine how amazing it would be to see pictures from my grandparents when Pearl Harbor was bombed (of course, provided that was easy to do back then! But you get my point). I hope this helps someone else document their life in a unique way.

By khilde from SD

This is such a good idea! Wish I had thought of this when some of the things have been in the news lately.

This is a great idea!

It's never to late to start. We all need to make sure our children care, and the way to do that is to teach our true history as Americans, so our children never forget the long and many roads it took to get us here. We go forward and we go backwards, taking a wrong or right path, deciding our future with every decision, no matter how insignificant. Photos of actual events are always a good idea. I have photos of 9/11 too. I was watching FOX news as it was happening.

I love this totally unique method of documenting significant events. We could never have gotten such good "screen shots" when I was a kid, the technology wasn't at the level it is today.

This is a good idea. I always liked to video tape the footage, or the big news story the night of an event. I did that when we had the bombing in Oklahoma City,but ended up erasing it(much to my regret) because it was too personal(I had a 3 month old I held & cried while I watched the news that he'd also bombed a daycare) & too close(I'm in Tulsa). I also have footage of 9/11 I've never watched & had just been discussing with my husband that it's a good time to watch it with our kids now after recent events. I think it's good to remember & share with our kids.

Crafts Paper ScrapbookingMay 9, 2011
Two tickets to a special event.
Saving Money on Tickets
Family Photo
Saving Money on Family Photography
Keeping Track of Events in a Calendar
Keeping Track of Events
Converting Email Files