Using Olive Oil on Brittle Nails

When applying olive oil to brittle nails, can I wash my hands afterward? Do you apply nail hardeners before or after applying olive oil? Thanks.

By Margaret from Malta

I would get it checked out by a doctor in case it's caused by a deficiency or infection.

I think you'll find that putting nail hardeners on brittle nails will make them worse.

I did it and my nails almost shattered because they were already brittle and putting hardener on them made them even dryer and more brittle.

Don't have a solution, but I think the olive oil by itself will help.

Also, don't use nail products with formaldehyde in them. Sally Hanson's used to have it in their nail polishes; this chemical will make your nails more brittle and they made my nails worse.

I have heard that coconut oil is great for many things, nails were one of them!

In cosmetology school, we would Soak our hands in warm sudsy water, (after removing any polish), then we would apply a cuticle remover, let it sit for several minutes, push all cuticles back, and remove as much of the cuticle as possible, wash hands well, and soak hands in warmed olive, baby oil or coconut oil, for at least 20 minutes. Then wash hands well, (make sure to remove any oil if you will be polishing your nails). We used a whitening pencil under the nails if using a clear polish. Using coconut oil around your nails at bed time will keep the skin around nails conditioned.

If you want your nails to grow, you can take gelatin capsules, or simply eat jello. I actually make the jello mixture , and drink it as a drink sometimes.

Keep in mind that polish actually make your nails brittle and will turn them yellow if you use it too much! If you can follow the steps above, once you soak your nails for 20 minutes, you can rub it in and let your nails go Without any polish for a couple of days. You can put a little olive or coconut oil on them and rub it in, right before bed time, Wash your hands as usual in the morning! (Try not to file the sides of your nails and don't shape them to a point, that weakens them.) PS; lack of vitamins can have a big impact on nail growth and smoothness! Good luck! I hope this helps!

Bottle of olive oil with olive branch in the foreground.
Using Olive Oil as a Moisturizer
Health & Beauty Beauty Nail TipsApril 30, 2010
Storing Olive Oil
Storing Olive Oil
Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipes
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Cashew Brittle Recipes