When Should You Neuter a Dog?

We have a 3 yr old pit bull/beagle mix that we rescued from an abusive home. He is very sweet and good natured, but I am concerned that he will get aggressive as he grows older. At the present time he is not neutered. Should we think about having him neutered in the near future? Thank you.

By Cejaye from Conway, SC

My mom had a male dog neutered around the age of 6 months. Because he was neutered so young, he always squatted, instead of hiking his leg. He did fine. Also, we had an aggressive beagle (I told my Vet I thought he'd be like Snoopy, and my Vet said "NO! Beagles are hunting dogs!" He became less aggressive after neutering--it takes a couple of months for that. Make certain that they are in good health, no coughing, sneezing, things like that when they go in for surgery--and they come out of the surgery better than people! My Vet did say that when male dogs are neutered, they are more prone to getting UTI's, like females. Otherwise, they are calmer, (less hormones) pets.

I neutered my dog a little to young, and she has no idea what gender she is. She humps everything, (TMI)

But it wasn't too bad. I guess anytime is good :P

The sooner, the better. I had a female Lab spayed at 6 months, and she lived to 14.5, a good age for a big dog. The vet said her good health and longevity was partially due to this. I adopted a 9 year old male toy poodle, unneutered, and had him neutered. He lived to be 17.5 years old, and again the vet thought that it helped with his health and longevity. From my experience, it is not too early or too late for your 3 year old dog to be neutered.

Please have you fur baby neutered ASAP. Dogs can be altered at 4 months and kittens can be spay/neutered at 2 lbs. Good luck

Bless you for taking in the dog. We found a pit bull last Jan. while looking for our old dog, and never found his owner. We had him neutered and he is the absolutely sweetest dog; we had been a bit uncertain about taking in a pit bull but he fits in wonderfully, a good buddy for our other big dog.

We are having a bit of a problem with his chewing things but it is getting better.

Absolutely! Neutering a male dogs cuts his chances of testicular cancer to zero -- if you don't, chances are very high that he'll develop it. Plus it will cut down on marking behaviors (lifting his leg to mark his territory) and aggression. Please do your family and the dog a favor and neuter him!

Pets Dogs AdviceDecember 1, 2009
A family at an animal shelter.
Services Offered at Animal Shelters
dog wearing a cone
Low Cost Spay and Neuter Clinics
Golden retriever puppy not feeling well.
Caring for a Dog After it Vomits
Dog at Vet
Spaying or Neutering Your Pets