Canning Jars for Blending

contest winner icon

If your blender cap, gasket, and blades will fit onto a standard canning jar, you have your very own Magic Bullet, coffee grinder, and baby food grinder in one. I already had drinking glasses that have handles on them that look like canning jars, and regular canning jars can be used for drinking glasses too.

I have found that the pint size canning jars were the most useful for me, like for grinding and keeping fresh ground coffee beans (ask online how many seconds to grind beans for what type of coffee you want). I have used other sizes too. I have some of the small 1/2 cup ones that works well for my grandson's homemade baby food too. I also bought a box of 12 canning lids that twist, not expensive, and not the usual two part canning jar lids, and they are great for covering anything left over put into the refrigerator.

My Oster blenders have always been able to use canning jars for me. I don't know about the other types of blenders, so just check and see if they will fit. I'm pretty sure there are others that will fit too.

Be careful with using boiling water in blending in the canning jars. I didn't have any problems with it ever, but I thought it was best to put a towel over it before blending, just in case.

By kas2 from Grand Rapids, MI

WOW! What an exciting tip. I just marched into my kitchen and tried it with a random canning jar on my Oster blender. It fit perfectly. I'm certainly going to try this the next time I make dressing. Maybe even coffee :)

Thanks Jess, I'm glad you found how well it will work with the canning jars. :)

Also, I should have added to the post, that I usually don't put more than 3/4 of any liquid into the canning jars for blending, there is only so much room inside the jars, and putting all the air into the liquid, the liquid will get bigger, as for anything does that in blenders, only blenders have a lid, and the jars do not. The jars work very well, as long as we use discretion when we use them. :)

I've done this for years. Works on Hamilton Beach blenders, too. Oster used to sell 1/2 pint plastic jars with their blenders. Found a few of these second hand.

I do not understand this conception. What is a magic bullet? I don't understand what you are doing here. Sorry if I am dense but don't get it.

I have seen this on line a few times. But, I always wonder, dosen't everything fall out when you are putting the jar on or removing the jar? Or do you turn the blender & jar over before removing? Thanks for the help. Trish in CT

I too am really confused on this concept. The jar has only one opening (the top), so how does it fit on the blender? I would think everything would leak out. I'm just not getting this at all and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one reading the above posts. Am I missing something? Please explain.

It's no more work to place the items in the carafe, blend and pour in to jar(s)than it is to have to unscrew and/or tip the detached carafe base to keep the blended items in the jar from spilling. I am sorry but this is simply weird but I applaud you trying to think outside the box anyway.

Fabulous idea! I will get my blender out right now and see if my canning jars fit. Thanks for the suggestion.

For those confused about the spilling thing, you take the collar and blade off the blender and screw it onto the jar, which is right side up. Then you turn it over and put it on the blender. When you're done, take off the jar with the blender collar attached, turn it right side up and unscrew the blender collar.

My first Osterizer blender that I bought in the 70's came with small jars meant for baby food. I now have a Cuisinart, and the canning jars fit it too.

For those who say it's a lot of work, it does come in handy if you want to grind coffee beans or spices, since you have separate jars for them, and because they are compact, they are good for grinding the smaller amounts efficiently (the bits stay closer and hit the blades more often).

Thanks everyone for the feedback! :) It really is great for so many things; one I like is that I can make things into the jars, and I don't have to go clean the blender for each thing. Like Jess said about making her salad dressings in the canning jars, put all the ingredients into the canning jar, put the gasket, blades, and collar on the top of the canning jar, and turn the collar tight over the jar, turn it over, and put it into where the collar fits into your blender. . . blend. . . .and voila, a jar of creamy salad dressing, put a lid on it, and put it into your refrigerator. Enjoy and no dealing with the normal blender that usually needs a lot of scraping the dressing out, to put the dressing into another jar.

The Magic Bullet is a smaller blender, and I don't have one, but, one of my friend has one, and hers have I think 6 different plastic mugs for making smoothies, shakes, whatever, and they have little colored rings for which cup is for whose, so each person can make their own drinks for whatever they want to put in for themselves in their own mugs.

Anyway, she has a lot of pieces for things that have to have a place for storage somewhere, where all the pieces stay together. You can find pics of Magic Bullets in a search engine, and click on Images, and I'm sure you'll find the ones with all the mugs. I think there are newer Magic Bullets now too. My friend likes it, and the canning jars can really do the same things, and this fits with our site Thriftyfun.com. We want to save money, right? :)

The photo I think it may have a shadow at the top of the canning jar in the blender, and it almost looks like there is a lid on the top of it, that might confuse others too.

Great too that we found so far that Oster, Hamilton Beach, and Cuisinart blenders can use canning jars!

This is a great idea! Thanks much.

For those of you who don't understand this idea, may I suggest you go over the instructions slowly. I'm not trying to be condescending here, it just takes a little patience and understanding to grasp the idea. It is a very ,very good idea even if it is not understood by some. Have a peaceful evening. Sincerely, Mee

I measure out my milk in canning jars at the beginning of each week and, using my Food Saver mason jar accessory, seal the flat lid on the jar. Then I have my 1 cup of milk for my Sugar Free Instant Breakfast, put it on my blender and off to work I go.

I have a Ninja blender that came with two reusable plastic individual tumblers for things such as smoothies, etc. One of the tumblers ended up getting broken. I have to try this idea! I hope this will work on my Ninja! I am trying to eliminate as much plastic as I can from my life and I use my tumbler for salad dressings and sauces. So this idea would be perfect and serve double duty; eliminating another piece of plastic from my life and having my dressings in a vessel that I can pour from and cap and place in the fridge! LOVE THIS IDEA. Thank you for sharing!

Painted snowman canning jar
Creative Uses for Canning Jars
Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsSeptember 17, 2009
mason jar vase
Crafts Using Mason Jars
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
gift mix in a jar
Homemade Gifts in a Jar Ideas
🎉
🎄