Best Dinner Plate Color for Someone With Vision Difficulties

Which colour of dinner plate should I buy? My friend has very bad eyesight. Does anyone know which colour would show the food up best? I have used white plates, but that doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions folks!
Thanks.

By Tizzyfluff from Fife, Scotland

I don't know if plate color matters, but there is a specific way that food is supposed to be arranged on a plate for the blind. I can't remember what it is, but I am sure if you google it, you will find something on the topic.

I think more important than the plate color is the contrast between placemat, plate, and food. Maybe a very dark placemat, white plate, and dark foods; or a white placemat, dark plate, and light colored foods.

The idea of food placement is an oldie but goodie, too, think of the plate like a clock, for example meat is between 12 and 3; veggies between 3 and 6; starch between 6 and 9; and relishes between 9 and 12.

My great grand aunt has macular degeneration and her vision is almost gone. I use clear glass plates with placemats under them. I have lots of different colours of placemats and use whichever colour provides the highest contrast to the food I'm serving at each meal. Also follow the placement guides others have posted. The contrasting colours are to enable her to see IF there is food there, not which food is where.

I am fairly sure that JustPlainJo will comment here but in case she doesn't go to the following link and at the end of her article click on 'JustPlainJo' and there will be a contact button. She's an awesome person to ask and I know she would be happy to give you some helpful advice :-) You might want to also read her many posts about assorted subjects regarding blind/legally blind.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf37410769.tip.html

Aww, Deeli, you're so sweet! You're also completely correct. I love helping others who are dealing with vision loss, or just curious about what we blind folks are really like. For me personally, it doesn't matter what plate color is set before me. I don't have enough usable vision to see the contrast. Red is very visible to me, as are bright or intense colors. That would help in locating the actual plate or glass. However, what helps me most is any plate with a deep "lip." That is, if there's a raised outside edge on the plate, it tends to make it less likely the food will slide off as you eat.

The "clockface method" described here works very well for me. I was also taught to use a portion of a slice of bread to "help" any food onto the fork or spoon. However, I'm just as likely to use a finger! (I'm such a barbarian, lol!) If you're as I used to be and hate for one food to touch another, invest in a few dinner-size divided plates. Those also tend to have the raised edges I described, and food can be put into each section, meat in one, veggies in another, etc.

Last but not least, I encourage you to contact the National Federation of the Blind. They're online at http://www.nfb.org. Feel free to contact me through my TF profile if you need further help. I'm praying for you! JPJ

There used to be plates that were half black and half white. Meat on white part and potatoes on dark part. Veggies where they contrast best. Wish i could find some now.

Visually Impaired Reader Using Magnifying Glass
Tips for the Visually Impaired
Health & Beauty AdviceMarch 13, 2011
Blue-Green Carpet
Paint Color to Coordinate With Blue-Green Carpet
woman using eyedrops
Eyedrops or Supplements That Improve Vision
Wickker Paper Plate Holders
Using Paper Plate Holders
Freshly baked white dinner rolls.
Saving Money on Dinner Rolls
🎉
🎄