Frugal Tips for Grocery Shopping

Grocery shopping is not as economical here in Canada, you do far less with coupons, and have to rely on wildly fluctuating prices. I buy only when on special and always buy at least four. I buy the largest sizes (more economical) and keep an eye on your pantry.

The only things here that are always the same are fresh milk and eggs. Eggs can be gotten at the local supplier cheaper. A great way to save on milk is a recipe for do it yourselfers: one cup powdered milk, one half cup of canned milk (buy it on sale) and 4 cups water. Mix well, chill overnight and no difference except the budget.

Buy dry goods in bulk, and store brands are very good quality and price. On extremely rare occasions, I have to pay full price, and am always mortified at the cost difference! Also the local bakery outlet is good to have on your to-do list; you save a bundle on rolls and bread. Of course, look for instore specials, and never pass a bulk Barn or a Dollar Store!

With a little practice, you can cut your food bills by one third to one half. Also, your dishwasher and washing machine do not require as much soap as the manufacturer says; and cold water is fine for clothes.

By Deborahann from East Margaree, Nova Scotia

October 14, 2009 Flag

After making a trip to the grocery store and seeing the continued escalation of food prices, I thought this would be a good time to remind all of us, me included of tips for saving money!

Woman with Shopping Absket and Coupons

Woman leaning on her cart thoughtfully at the grocery store
Frugal Tips for Grocery Shopping
Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingOctober 14, 2009
couple reading canned food label at the market
Grocery Shopping Strategies
Grocery List
Creating A Grocery List
A woman looking at her shopping list.
Organizing Your Grocery List
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores