Recipes That Don't Use Tomatoes

I am allergic to tomatoes. What can I use instead? I know I can use Alfredo sauce, but I would like ideas for soups, chili (especially), etc.

Kathy from Coatesville, PA

I was going to suggest pureed sweet red peppers but you would have to cut it with something to make it not so sweet. Maybe also cooked and pureed beets? I found this recipe that looks peppers and squash: ... ppy-joes-no-wheat-tomatoes-beef.html

This site has several recipes. Love the site name!

Not really a tomato substitute but I had a pasta dish and the sauce was basically lightly stir fried shredded zukes with a bit of plain yogurt and some cheese. Seems like I have also seen various types of beans like garbanzo beans cooked and then pureed to make a sauce for pastas.

Good Luck to you.

Hi,I make a hamburger soup that I don't put tomatoes in. Use a heavy kettle, add hamburger, sliced carrots, onions, celery, fry until the hamburger is done. Keep stirring, then add peas, beans or any other vegetables you like. Add enough water to cover, add beef bullion to flavor. You can drain the fat off before you add the water.

If you use 1# hamburger use about a cup of vegetables, 2# hamburger, 2 cups vegetables.This is a more of a add what you like soup. You can also do noodles, rice only you have to be careful how much of those you add they like to expand. You can make it thick or thinner how you like it.Only add the carrots, celery and onions when you fry the hamburger.add the rest after. I hope I covered every thing. PS, it's better the next day

I have not made this but it does sound good. When I do make it, I will probably make some adjustments on some of the ingredients. I hope this works for you.

1/4 cup chopped onions

2 cup water

3 large garlic cloves, minced or 1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic

Bunch broccoli -- tops only, cut into bite-sized pieces

3 cup boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced

3/4 cup butter

1 1/4 teaspoons white pepper

3/4 cup flour

1 1/4 teaspoons salt

4 cups low sodium chicken broth

Dash nutmeg

1 quart half-and-half cream

6 oz. farfel bow tie pasta, cooked

1 1/2 cups freshly-grated Parmesan cheese

In a heavy stockpot over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in butter for 2-3 minutes; add flour and cook, stirring, for another 2-3 minutes until bubbly.

Gradually whisk in chicken broth and half & half; cook, stirring frequently, until thickened.

Meanwhile, in a separate pan, add water to broccoli and bring just to boiling, the broccoli should be only partially cooked and not soft. Remove from heat; do not drain cooking water from broccoli.

Add Parmesan cheese to soup-base in stockpot; cook over low heat, stirring, just until cheese is melted; add cooked broccoli along with its cooking water, chicken, seasonings, and bow tie pasta to the stockpot; heat through. Serves 8-10 -- 10 cups.

6 ounces bow tie pasta equals 2 1/4 cups before cooking and 3 cups diced chicken breast equals

1 1/2 pounds before cooking.

Also, decrease the salt by half if you happen to substitute full-sodium chicken broth in this recipe.

Have you tried yellow tomatoes? If you are allergic to their acidity, they are less acid. See: ... m/orange_or_yellow_heirloom_tomatoes

Go to or and type in white chili, white pizza, (you can find just about anything if you start it w/ 'white' which normally means tomato-less. Happy Huntin'!

are you allergic to the chilli seasoning packets?? you could saute the ground beef/ground chicken in that to get the chilli flavor. some non-tomato ingredients i use for my chilli are frozen corn, instant rice, frozen green & red peppers, any beans even the kind you normally eat with hot dogs (they are good since they are thick more like tomato sauce). i've also heard of "white chilli" i don't have a recipe but it sounds as though no tomatoes are involved.

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceFebruary 18, 2008
Peeling Tomatoes
Peeling Tomatoes
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes