Advice On Kitchen Decoration

My kitchen cupboards are white and the walls are a very, very pale blue. I am going to get new floors, counter-top and back-splash. I am overwhelmed by the choices. Should the back splash, counter and floor all match as well? What would you suggest for each? Thank-you.

Anita from Toronto, Ontario

To avoid a "busy" look, match two items and let the third coordinate. For example: white back splash and counters, white floor with a design including the pale blue. Home do it yourself stores often have kitchen displays, free brochures, and employees to give advice. Check it out.

Anita, I just redid my entire kitchen myself and it was a very daunting task to say the least. I did alot of research on the internet though and redid my wood cabinets all myself. It saved us a bundle!

If you go to some of the home improvement stores (I'm sure you have different ones than we have here in the states though) you can see kitchens already made up. They'll have cabinets with countertops and backsplashes, etc. You don't have to buy from them, but you can sure get some ideas. Also, if you have new homes to going up around you, alot of my girlfriends get idea from looking at them.

Good luck to you and remember, you're the one that has to be ultimately happy with it....

kc

A real estate agent would tell you to keep it as neutral as possible and use accessories for color.

Perfumed Fan had an excellent suggestion.

Remember that anything that is 'loud' becomes tiring, if you have to look at it day after day.

Thought I'd mention that our kitchen has a brick red linoleum floor, federal blue and white wallpaper and chair pads that are oatmeal. All of the colors are somewhat muted, so it looks pleasingly colorful, yet not too loud. The wallpaper and flooring were there when we bought the house and although they need replacing, I've enjoyed the match. Cabinets are a med. dark brown.

Thank-you to all of you for your helpful responses.

Anita

I have white cupboards and did my backplash in white beadboard. If you search beadboard backsplash, you can find lots of picture. I continued the bead board along 1 wall. For $80 worth of beadboard, it looks like a designer kitchen. It would look really nice with the pale blue.

If you like a nice airy look, I'd do a light colored wood laminate on the floor and a light brown counter.

I live in a ritzy neighborhood and just redid my kitchen by painting my counter, adding the beadboard and putting in laminate floor. Above the beadboard I have a chocolate brown color and on the other wall a light tan. All of my neighbors love it and think it looks better than the kitchens they spent a fortune on.

Pick a look you like and make it fit into your budget. If you do enough searching, you will find a way.

Decorating Advice for a Kitchen Update
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating KitchenAugust 11, 2007
Wood Knife Holder
Making a Kitchen Knife Holder
Spilled Milk in kitchen
Preventing Spills in the Kitchen
Renovating Your Kitchen on Budget, Red tool box full of tools.
Renovating Your Kitchen on Budget
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
🎄