Helping Hair Grow Faster and Healthier

I had really badly split ends, so the person cutting my hair said I should cut it up to my shoulders to get rid of them. So I did, and I really miss my long hair. How can I make it grow faster and healthier? How often should I cut it? Please answer.

By horselover4

I have read that gently pulling on the hair will help it to grow. The directions were to run your fingers into your hair at the scalp and from there pull very, very gently. I have never tried for any length of time so I don't know if it will help your hair to grow more quickly, but it does feel good. Since hair grows slowly, it may take some time to see results. Good luck.

I've heard that taking Biotin supplements makes the hair and nails grow faster.

If you are in good health your hair is going to grow at your inherited amount of length each month. For the majority of people in the world that is 1/2 inch per month and there is absolutely no way to speed that process up. If you have health issues and/or take medications have your doctor order a full range of blood tests to see what your body might be lacking so you can take supplements he/she recommends if need be.

Since you said your hairstylist recommended you cut so much length off because of split ends that tells me (I was a hairstylist for 35 years as were both of my parents before me) that you need to be more gentle on your hair. Hair and nails are dead appendages once they grow out of the follicle/cuticle and once damaged all you can to is cut or try using certain products that will hopefully make them appear more healthy looking.

Use only a wide tooth comb when your hair is wet, a boar bristle brush when it's dry and either way start gently combing/brushing from the end of your hair up to your scalp. The less you fuss with your hair the better and protecting from the elements, such as a hat in the sun or bathing cap in the pool or salt water and air dry or minimal blow dryer use is a good idea too. Also, don't use rubber bands other than the cloth type meant for hair use.

Oh, and have a trim to remove any possible new split ends every six to eight weeks to keep control of possible future splits. Once a split starts it will continue splitting up the hair shaft until the splits are removed. If you are gentle you might not have to have a trim for a few months. I haven't needed a trim for over six months.

Try prenatal vitamins, I don't know if they will make it grow any faster but they will help to make your hair healthier. Follow Deeli's advice too, sounds like she knows what she is talking about.

Deeli gave you great advice! My mom has very fine hair & she never used a brush or comb. She has used a hair pick for over 30 years now & uses a vinegar rinse occasionally. She almost never has split ends & only gets her hair trimmed when she gets a perm(a couple of times a year). Her hair stylists have all marveled at how healthy & beautiful her hair is. Wish I would take the time to follow her advice! LOL! And I have had a terrible problem with losing my hair (I had a badly receded hairline!) this last couple of years & I can tell you it was from a medical condition & deficiencies that I am correcting now that I know about them, & my hair is coming back.

Lyonpridej, what are you taking to get your hairline back? Mine has receded terribly and I don't know what steps to take to get it back.

A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips Hair CareJuly 11, 2011
African American Woman with hands in her long natural hair
Growing Hair Naturally
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Young bald girl smiling
Growing Hair After Chemotherapy