Moths Hatching from Parakeet Seed

Please someone help solve this problem. We use parakeet food seed for our birds. Within two weeks of buying the seed, we have moths hatch in the bag or container we buy it in. I have tried baking at low heat, and freezing the seed. So far nothing keeps the nasty moths from hatching. I have also tried other brands, no luck!

Deborah from Cape Coral, FL

Freezing should keep them from hatching - do you keep it in the freezer? I would always keep it in the freezer and then just bring it out when I was feeding. YOu might want to try another brand - just stay away from Hartz or supermarket brands, you actually want seed that may have the bugs - it means it wasn't irradiated.

My husband and I used to have a pet store and had this problem until the rep told us to put it in the freezer for 24 hours. That always stopped it for us. Maybe you don't leave it long enough?

As above, I freeze for at least 24 hrs, and keep the seed in a plastic air tight container and away from warm areas. There are flour moth traps that the pet stores or pet catalogs sell that are good for this as well. They do not hurt animals or humans (look like an open ended small cardboard box).

My guess is that something else is contaminated with grain moths besides your parakeet food.

Check ALL other grain products in your house and find the offending source of the moths that are cross-contaminating your bird food. Once you have cleaned up all the contaminated food, store your grain products in Tupperware and do not keep any cardboard boxes, that come from the store, in your house. Most grain products come from the store with moths or their eggs already in to product or on the boxes, but if you store them properly they will not contaminate all your grain products.

Happy hunting!

Denise

www.abundantliving.jerkydirect.com

It is seed. That is what happens...birds eat worms and bugs....not a problem for the bird....I would put it in the freezer as soon as you buy it...only feed enough for a day...lots of luck

Keep the bag of seed in your fridg.. Serve from there. We feed pellets at the rescue. Healthier but some seeds are good as well.

I adopted a baby parakeet. He is very tame but theres only one problem, The parakeet only eats the canary grass seeds. He throws all the seed away from his food dish and makes a mess in the room. Which is inviting cockroaches Should I just feed him that seed? Is it healthy to eat only one type of seed? He doesn't eat any of the millet seed at all! How do I stop his bad habits? I DESPERATELY need help! Please someone help me. My email is ANIKI_89AT yahoo.com. Feel free to email me with any suggestions.

I had the same problem with sunflower seed and they spread to my dog food. I have since stored the dogfood and haven't had anymore problem.

I have a parrot and once had a problem with moths in the feed. I purchase the large bags of food and then transfer some to an urn that I keep beside his cage. I take several Bay Leaves and drop them in the opened bag and I tape several leaves around the inside mouth of the urn. I have been doing this for 28 years now and I have not had any problems with moths since I started using the Bay Leaves. I hope you find this successful as well.

Parakeet
Parakeet Losing Its Feathers
Parakeet
Understanding Parakeet Behavior
Parakeets sitting on a wood perch.
Determining the Gender of a Parakeet
growing snap dragons from seed
Growing Flowers from Seed
🎄