Watering the Garden in a Heat Wave

In this intense heat wave we are experiencing, (100 degrees F+) I have saved my garden produce from sunburn and kept the plants green by covering them with old bedsheets, tablecloths, etc. (or anything else that is lightweight)

The tomatoes especially have done well. I am picking some of the prettiest tomatoes of the season. We are having a few clouds today with a 20% chance of rain, so I removed the sheets for the first time in almost two weeks, but will replace them if the high temps continue. Water daily, but don't use the overhead sprinklers, just drench the base of the plants with water from the hose.

I also covered my pepper plants to keep them from sunburn. I am sure that Arkansas is not the only place suffering from the heat.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

I am new to vegetable gardening and am doing the Square Foot Garden. I am wondering if you put the bedsheets directly on the plants, or suspended the sheets above the plants. Does direct sun penetrate the sheets enough that they get their required sunshine?

By the way, I water every morning and try really hard to keep the water off the foliage. Most of my vegetables are doing really well. Today I snipped some turnip green leaves and chewed them right in the garden.

That is an ingenious idea that I've never heard of before! I will certainly pass it on to my friends here in South Georgia who have gardens. Thanks for sharing and God bless you!

Home and Garden Gardening SeasonalAugust 23, 2007
Watering a gardening with drip irrigation.
Watering Your Garden
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Watering Flowers
Helping Your Garden Beat The Heat
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 17, 2016 at 10:07:08 PM on in 898 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.