Browsing: Stretching Butter With Oil

Substituting Oil for Butter in Recipes

I have heard you can swap canola oil for the margarine/butter in a cookie recipe. If a recipe calls for 1 cup of margarine or butter, how much oil would I use in it's place? Thanks!

By squirrley from MI

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Don't substitute anything for butter. It adds it's own special richness. Don't use margarine, it eventually causes cancer & many other terrible things. Butter is not bad for you, no matter what all of those misguided & misinformed people out there think. Julia Child lived a long time & was a great cook. She used butter! Butter is great stuff, tastes great. There is no substitute!

Yes, you can substitute for butter. I use applesauce due to medical reasons. It takes the fat out of lots of my recipes and adds great taste. Give it a try. Then if you don't like it, don't use it again.

You can always swap butter for margarine But think twice before you do, although butter has a higher fat content it is definitely better for you than margarine. For instance, did you know that margarine is only 1Chromosone away from being plastic? Why would anyone want to eat plastic? if you're worried about calories use applesauce it a better alternative to plastic (or near plastic). Butter is a real food although a bit more caloric, but still real as apposed to synthetic margarine. If using in cooking just add a little butter and the rest veg. oil to help with the calories as well.

I don't think previous posters understood your question. I don't have the ratios but various oils

can be used in place of butter or other solid shortenings, there is a basic formula for the traditional products, such as butter, lard, plain margarine,etc Since I don't bake cookies or cakes don't know how the substitutions go, but if you call your library and ask them to help you find Tel.# for the Cooperative Extension (its a government org, and very hard to locate in Tel directory) but anyway...call Coop Extension and request the info..they are (or used to be)free

they can tell you or send you a print-out.

While you are at it, if you have any other cooking? ask about those also. They may only be in office certain days, (and in NY state you have to contact them by elevenish) Joy of Cooking (my 30yrs+old one) advises to only use specific recipes that use special techniques when using oil for baking cakes(no mention of coolies) and it has a number of such recipes , A later edition of Joy of Cooking is probably available at any public library, check out the detailed info in the section called Know Your Ingredients. It covers loads of stuff. Best of Health to you and yours

Sorry, I just read moonylisa and she corrected what I wrote. I did not state that the applesauce you use in a 1 to 1 ratio. 1/4 cup butter would be 1/4 cup applesauce.

I'm not sure where I got this information, but here is what I have:

Butter/margarine = Oil

1 tsp = 3/4 tsp

1 tbsp = 2 1/4 tsp

2 tbsp = 1 1/2 tbsp

1/4 cup = 3 tbsp

1/3 cup = 1/4 cup

1/2 cup = 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp

2/3 cup = 1/2 cup

3/4 cup = 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp

1 cup = 3/4 cup

For types of oil to use - Olive oil is the best choice because it is 77% monounsaturated (the "good" fat.)

Extra virgin olive oil - meets exacting taste and aroma standards - Use for dressings, marinades, sauces & for basting meats & drizzling over soup and vegetable dishes.

"Pure" olive oil - all-purpose cooking oil for grilling, sauteing, stir-frying and in pasta sauces.

"Light" or Mild olive oil - is olive oil with just enough extra virgin olive oil added to give it a light flavor and color.

I find good results with half butter & half extra vergin olive oil for all my baking.

October 6, 2011 Flag

My husband and kids all loved the boxed macaroni and cheese, but I've never been a fan of all the fat and calories in it. I always used skim milk in the mix, but cutting way back or deleting the margarine/butter gave the stuff a noticeably blander flavor they didn't like.

Then I discovered that if I use olive oil in place of the margarine in the sauce (I add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to 2 boxes), it gives the mac and cheese a much better flavor. My family loves it, even I like it and I don't feel so guilty when I don't make it from scratch or my kids want to fix a box for lunch! As they say, fat always adds to the flavor. In this case, it really does add to the flavor, only it's a healthy fat.

I've found that this works for any other box mix that calls for margarine/butter, such as stuffing mix (which I never liked either), mashed potato flakes, etc. The olive oil brings out the flavor and adds a fullness to it. I like the flavor of the olive oil. You almost don't miss the flavor of the margarine/butter. But if you do, you can always add a dab of it or use a butter substitute.

By Lyonpridej from OK

September 16, 2011 Flag

Can I exchange oil for butter in a box cake recipe?

By Cherrie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I honestly have never seen butter used in a cake box recipe though it has been ages since I have used one. I am vegan and I use oil all the time when baking cakes and cupcakes in place of butter. It works quite well:)

Have a great day!

I have used oil but used less oil then butter or margarine worked well.

Marcia

I have heard of someone who uses the oil amount called for plus a stick of butter and understand the cakes are simply awesome. Of course, this doesn't eliminate the oil, which is your primary request, but someone else may want to try this trick. I haven't yet but certainly intend to!

Don't think I'd want more cholesterol (butter plus egg yolk) added to my cakes. I stick with the instructions, but have subbed applesauce for the oil and use only the egg white, tastes no different.

Read More Answers...
cooking oil
Stretching Butter With Oil
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsJune 18, 2009
3 sticks of butter.
Saving Money on Butter
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 17, 2016 at 7:11:07 AM on 10.0.2.115 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.