Check Date on "New" Tires

When we go to a store to buy tires, we think we are buying new ones, right? We may not be. As it turns out the date the tire is manufactured is on the inside part of the tire. If you check the date on the tires, you may find they are five years old or even sixteen! These tires are sold as new, because they have never have been used! Check the date on the inside of the tires; I know we will from now on.

Source: This was sent to us by a close friend of our family.

By Bev S. from Chilliwack, BC

this same story was on the CBS evening news about 3 months ago and lots of people wear killed due to this subject. This poster is correct because the tires still look brand new but were not and caused deathly car accidents, it showed alot of places who still sold them and walmarts and sears were at the top of that list.

When the poster said the date is on the inside of the tires it actually is on the outside on the side wall. When I buy tires I ask for the tire service guy to write the date of manufacture on the invoice. Then I check the dates and the service guy then knows to put the newest tire he has on my car.

How to read the code on those "new tires".

I watched the same special, and have advised all my friends and family how to read the date.

If the code says "4302", it was made in the 43rd week of 2002. It's past it's prime by now.

If it says "1706" then it was made on the end of April, 2006. Its' not yet 6 years old, and a good buy.

It's worth the crawl under the car to make sure you are not running on tires that can kill.

I recently became a used tire expert as everyone knows how expensive tires can be, but how important it is to have good tires on your vehicle. I asked many questions from the tire guy when I went to purchase new tires and he gave me all the information. He told me not to buy tires that are more than five years old and he thinks they should ban tires from being sold if they are more than that because they are not safe. I do buy used tires but I now know what to check for. When I go buy them from the junk yard I ask all the questions so he knows I know what I'm talking about, He knows he cannot sell me an old or bad tire because I know what to check for. I often wonder why the tire companies put the manufacture date in that odd code (just so the average person can't figure it out or what) You can save a lot by buying then from a junk yard. Where I am from they sell between 10 and 15 dollars a tire.

New Tires
Buying Tires
Consumer Advice Cars MaintenanceNovember 6, 2008
Background Check
Know What Information Is In Your Background Check
brightly colored tire planters
Reusing Tires in the Garden
A finger with a pink bow tied on it.
Save-The-Date Ideas
A Christmas wreath made from neckties.
Crafts Using Neckties
🎄