My Tiny Linen Closet

What can I do to optimize the space in my tiny but tall, narrow and deep linen closet?

Fancypants from Chicago, IL

I'm thinking I would want lots of shelves. If the closet is extra deep I would try to find boxes or baskets the same width of your closet and half the you could stack/store items in an open top box/basket which is pushed to the rear of the shelf and then place a second box/basket filled with "stuff" in front of it. If you need what is in "the back" of the shelf you could just pull out and remove the "front" box/basket and then be able to pull out the "back" one. This eliminates a lot of "unpacking" of shelves trying to retrieve items. Hope my explanation isn't too confusing. I use this method for storage all over my house in closets, cabinets, refrigerators.. you name it. I use any and all types of plastic baskets, dishpans, cat litter pans, (new ones of course! actually my favorite container) and sturdy cardboard boxes.

I'll add one important tip........make sure the box or basket you use will easily slide out the closet door, sometimes cabinets and closets have doors which are narrower than the actual width of the shelf. A too wide box totally defeats the purpose of this plan!

You can fold the towels and washclothes 2 times lengthwise, then roll them in rolls and stack them so that you see the ends of the rolls. Same with sheets and other things youve got in there. Hey Im from Chicago too! (smile)

2 ideas.

1 - Try purchasing tool kit kinds of things to create drawers. put infrequently used linens in the back. put a piece of wood down on the bottom and when you need something pull the whole board out.

2 - Use dresser drawers as the linen closet and the linen closet to house things like underwear and socks which you only need to reach into quickly without looking

I used to store boxes of things I seldom used in the back of neatly folded linens in front. I also used the clear plastic zippered bags I found being tossed curbside, to store blankets in the rear for the winter.

Don't get frustrated, and you might enjoy keeping a flashlight nearby to see back items if needed. It's a poor design, but can be overcome with good judgment. You can do it. Deep baskets would not be my recommendation because they are both cumbersome and heavy when filled, the higher they

get up the closet. So, I'd take it slow, plan well, and

you will figure a way to make best use of it.

I'd make certain the spacing between shelves is about 16", if the closet is about two feet deep. This way you can maximize the three middle shelves for

items used more often. Say, placing the bottles/cans/toilet paper on the top front middle shelf,if you have children, the towels and face cloths on the middle front shelf, then using the bottom whole shelf and floor area with two plastic baskets to store dirty clothes?

Remember to first place an open box of baking soda in the back of each shelf for any odors, and a DAMP RID for moisture if a problem in your area, and to dust lightly on the floor with Boric Acid (poison, don't breathe or use too much) for any future pests. The very top shelf could be for pillows, gift wrap, Christmas bows, boxes maybe? Or for sewing material storage? If possible, get a small folding stool to store behind the floor level MORE SHALLOW laundry basket to more easily reasch the top shelves when needed? Good luck and

God bless you. : )

I just thought of something - how about underbed boxes or giant zip bags with the towels and linens for each room? If it's per room, it won't be bulky.

I suggest adding underneath each shelf one of the new fluorescent tube fixtures placed lengthwise front to back down the center of each shelf. The ideal would be to use electric ones.

Organizing ClosetMay 10, 2007
Decorated and embellished fabric calendar.
Decorating a Linen Wall Calendar
mirrored closets
Affixing Fabric to Mirrored Closet Doors
Woman holding linens in front of linen closet.
Organizing Your Linen Closet
Storing Sheets Inside Pillowcases
Storing Sheets Inside Pillowcases