Use Laundry Basket For Transporting Groceries

Having to carry groceries from my car into my apartment is always a challenge. Add a two year old in tow, stairs to climb, and possible icy sidewalks in the winter, and you have disaster waiting to happen. Since I only have so many hands for shopping bags and hand holding, I now leave a laundry basket in my van when I go shopping.

I can usually fit all of the bags into the basket. Since it is contoured for hip carrying, I still have a hand free for my son. The plastic makes it easy to clean up if there are any spills and I don't worry about it breaking like the flimsy cardboard boxes you can buy at the grocery store.

Top Comment

I do this too, mostly when I go to Aldi's. They charge for bags or you can take their boxes for free, and I get tired of recycling all that cardboard. I also have an insulated bag in the car in summer. Makes grocery-shopping a little easier.

Top Comment

I also keep an old laundry basket in my car for popping groceries into. I used to use it for laundry until my son (accidentally!) cracked it on one side. I put it into the boot/trunk of my car and it really stops items from rolling around in there. I do also have large chiller-bag with zipped top for dairy/frozen items.

I do the very same thing! A laundry basket is also great when we have sports games to attend, etc. to keep all of the gear together. I always leave one in my car.

I do this too when I go to BJ's. Since they don't give you bags, and I don't want to have to get rid of boxes (most of which aren't suitable for transporting purchases anyway) I put a laundry basket or plastic milk crate in the car to pack my purchases in. Then they're not all over the place on the way home either.

Me too :-) It's a great way to corral groceries.

genius! Thank you so much for this idea. I tire of making so many trips to and from the car with my arms full of grocery bags when I get home to unload them. Especially when its cold.

BY ROSE

WHAT I DID I WENT TO THE MARKET AND BOUGHT MYSELF A TROLLEY

ITS LIKE MESH ,WITH HANDLE AND FOUR WHEELS ,TWO LARGE AND TWO SMALL IT IS GREAT I CAN GO UP AND DOWN STAIRS BY JUST TILTING IT. I KEEP THAT IN THE CAR TO BRING MY SHOPPING INSIDE.THEN I BOUGHT ANOTHER TO TAKE WASHING IN AND OFF THE LINE,AS I HAVE BACK PROBLEMS IT MAKES LIFE A LOT EASIER

We have Schiffmeyer plastic collapsible crates that we use for getting stuff back and forth on the docks to our boat. We fill them, take them down to the boat on a luggage cart. Once we unload and stow everything they take very little room to store until time to go home. (I hate going home.)

Having to carry shopping bags which cut into your hands and also often break I now use my weekend case which has wheels.............makes an amazing difference.

What an awesome idea! I am going to do this!

I also put a cooler in the back, like you take on picnics. Mine is something I garbage picked, nothing wrong with it but that it's older and the color has faded! I live 20 minutes from everywhere, lol, and this keeps my frozen food and refrigerated food cold!