Recipes for Cancer Patient

I am driving an Old Order Amish lady to chemotherapy for breast cancer. What can I make her for a little treat? I would like to also fix her some broccoli or asparagus soup because those are just chocked full of antioxidants. Thank you, friends.

That's a very thoughtful idea! If the chemo is causing nausea, you might ask her what foods she can and cannot tolerate (broccoli and asparagus are both have somewhat strong flavors), and if she has a taste for anything particular.

I'm sure if you make her something she likes, especially if she is only eating a limited number of foods, it would be a real treat. And if she is not well, anything you cook or bake for her so she doesn't have to cook herself is something I am sure she would appreciate.

When my Mother was terminally ill with cancer, she didn't seem to like anything, even the foods that she had always liked. It might make a difference in the type of cancer a person has. My Mother had colon cancer. I imagine each person is different too.

My brother passed away over six years ago from cancer of the esophagus. I always made this soup for him. I would even freeze it in individual batches for him. I would also make extra broth for the times when he couldn't eat solid food. He always said this soup made him feel better. I named the soup after him. I wish he was still here so I could make some for him now. I hope this makes your friend feel better like it did for my brother.

Richard's Soup

5 tsp. vegetable oil

1 pound stew meat/1/2" cubes

1 large onion, chopped

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

5 cup water

(2) large potatoes, diced

(2) large carrots, diced

(8-10) large radishes/unpeeled, diced

3/4 cup green beans/1" pieces

1 1/2 ribs celery, sliced

3/4 cup peas

1/2 cup scallions/1" pieces, optional

Heat 3 teaspoons oil in pot and brown meat. Add chopped onions and sauté lightly. Add seasonings and stir. Add water and heat to boiling. Cover pot and simmer for about one hour or until meat is tender.

In large skillet, sauté potatoes, carrots, and radishes in remaining oil until slightly transparent. Stir in green beans, celery and peas.

Add stir-fried vegetables to beef-water mixture. Add scallions. Heat to boiling. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender. Makes (5) 8-ounce servings.

Great for you Margie that you are helping someone. While I don't have a recipe to share, I will share that my Mom had breast cancer (mastectomy, radiation and chemo) in her early 50's. She lived to 89 and was my dear daughter's special friend. My thoughts and prayers are with your special lady.

When my uncle was going through chemo the food that worked the best for him was fresh fruit. So maybe a fruit plate of fruit salad would work. He didn't do well with any thing that had dairy products in it as that upset his stomach more than it was.

Knowing first hand the ups and downs of taste buds during chemo for breast cancer treatment, it may be hard to find one thing that she can tolerate. I did not do well with dairy products, even low fat, and they were normally top of my list. I would start with a light broth, chicken, or beef, possibly seasoned with tiny bits of celery, carrot, even a very little bit of broccoli, if she likes it. Broccoli does have that unpleasant after effect, especially if one is not very active. Gas can be very uncomfortable when not moving around a lot. Don't be surprised if things she liked last week do not taste right to her this week. As for snacks I found saltines, sometimes with just a bit of peanut butter, went down well. Of course, if this lady is not having trouble with nausea, then fix the broth with some cooked meat, no real fat in it, and add the rice or noodles, etc. By the way, I am still without any "new" cancer since 2005. Tell the lady you are helping that a positive attitude, and faith in the lord means everything.

Food and Recipes Recipes Soups VegetableAugust 19, 2009
Breast Cancer Awareness Pin
Breast Cancer Awareness Craft Ideas
Breast Cancer Detection and Prevention
Breast Cancer Prevention
Heart Patient with Doctor
Open Heart Surgery Recovery Advice for Patient's Family
Caring hands
Helping a Friend with Cancer