Buying an Environmentally Friendly Boat

Question:

I am moving down near the water and I would like to buy a boat, ideally a motor boat. I was wondering if there is an eco-friendly way to go about this. Are their eco-friendly boats with motors? Any info or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stan

Answer:

Stan,

Whether you're moving to a place near saltwater or fresh water, it's a good time to buy a new boat! The most eco-friendly boats are still those that rely on humans or wind for power, but great strides have been made in the past few years in the development of cleaner-burning, more fuel-efficient boat motors as well as a surge in electric motors. Starting in 2006, the EPA will require all new gasoline boat engines to meet tougher emission guidelines. If you're buying a used boat and motor, look for 4-stroke engines or 2-stroke engines with direct fuel injection. These engines reduce air emissions by up to 75% and use from 35-50% less gasoline and 50% less oil. They are also easier to start and maintain, and less disruptive to wildlife due to quieter running engines.

Here is a link to a page that talks about electric boating (and using solar and wind to recharge batteries). This page also has numerous links to other sites on electric boating. www.econogics.com/ev/evboats.htm

Shop for high quality, well-made marine equipment that will last a long time.

For Eco-friendly boating practices-motor boat specific visit the Union of Concerned Scientists site on green motor boating. http://www.ucsusa.org/publications/greentips/704-good-clean-boating-fun.html

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Stan~

I sent the info to Treehugger.com and they are gathering what they can to answer your question- check the comments area as well. check out what has been said already-->

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/09/eco_motor_boat.php

Interesting stuff. Thanks Ellen and thank you FFL for posting it on the other site.

Stan

Stan, you can find information on eco-friendly boats, both human powered and electric powered, on www.sealarksales.com. You can enjoy being on the water all day without damaging the environment or buying gasoline. These are rugged, durable boats that look great and provide enjoyment on the water. Check them out.

There is a new boat on the market by Scout Boats (scoutboats.com) that is a Hybrid. Electric for short periods and gas for long distance. Very impressive! Made in South Carolina.

As has been pointed out only human powered boats are pollution free. A row boat will always work and not require buying fuels, of any type. As a rower I have found this product simply great. The rowrite forward rowing system sold at www.nakinadesign.com makes rowing a much better choice.

All types of fuels do damage. Human power is clean and you will improve your strength and health. As I've aged, Jack Lalanne has become my hero and rowing has me on my way to his level of health and strength. Further, I leave no mark on the waterways I enjoy.

Thanks, Martin

A row boat floating in the water.
Buying an Environmentally Friendly Boat
Travel and Recreation Recreation Boating Buying a BoatSeptember 17, 2005
Cleaning a Pontoon Boat
Cleaning a Pontoon Boat
Buying a Used Boat, A boat on a trailer.
Buying a Used Boat
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material, A box filled with packing peanuts.
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material
Cleaning Boat Seats
Cleaning Boat Seats
🎉
🎄