Uses for Doilies

I recently received a box full of hand-crochet doilies that my grandmother made. Any ideas what I can do with them?

JoAnne from Bushnell, FL

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

If any are particularly unique, I would frame them either separately or 3 or 4 in the frame.

Be sure to store several safely for when your children are grown. Guaranteed, they will appreciate and treasure them when they are adults.

Best Answer

Doilies make wonderful coverlets or bedspreads. Find a pleasing combination of the same shape (round looks particularly good). Handsew them in rows and then sew the rows together to fit the bed you have in mind. Alternatively, make panels to use as curtains. Smaller ones make lovely sachets. Cut 2 pieces of thin cotton (I use a lightweight muslin) slightly smaller than the doily. Fill loosely with potpourri and sew closed. Sandwich this little pillow between two doilies of the same size. Weave thin ribbon around the doilies, going through both doilies with it and tie a small bow at the top. Put it in your closet or drawer to freshen there or if u use lavender, put it between your pillow and pillowcase for sweet dreams.

Best Answer

Along with other wonderful items from my grandmother, my family also has a collection of doilies. My mom has used many of them to make collages. Some included special cards, jewelry, pictures, etc. Some are put in antique box frames and others are in regular frames, depending on the thickness of the items. We were sure to put the collages together in ways that we can change them in the future.

Best Answer

I bought a brass ring to fit and whip stitched mine to the ring. I then hung it on my bedroom door.

Well, depends how big they are you could sew them together and make a nice blanket for a grand baby or even a shaw. Many uses even great for back ground for pictures on a scrap book.

Handsew (after carefully pinning on a flat surface) to the front of a t-shirt. I put a gray/blue one on a royal blue shirt and it looked great. The shirt wore out and I removed the doily for use another day. I may put it on the back of a cotton camp shirt I just bought.

I think they would look nice placed against a piece of black velvet and framed. If they are the kind that stands up, they could be starched stiffly and placed in a box frame.

Cover a bowl with plastic film,starch the doily and place over bowl, let dry. These can be used as candy dishes.

I framed a rose doily potholder inside of an antique frame. I use this for a serving tray instead of a wall hanging.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Uses for Crocheted Doilies
Uses for Crocheted Doilies
Crafts AdviceFebruary 20, 2008
Crocheting
Repairing Damaged Crochet Items
coasters
Making Green Bay Packers Doilies
Presents wrapped in paper with doilies as accents.
Crafts Using Doilies
Making a Paper Doily Christmas Tree
Making a Paper Doily Christmas Tree
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 23, 2016 at 4:04:38 PM on 10.0.2.77 in 913 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.