Double Check Measurements When Submitting Recipes

Be sure there are no typos when sharing ingredient measurements for a recipe such as 3 cups of flour instead of 3 Tbsp. of flour, or visa versa. One of the mistakes I see the most, is when 1 stalk of celery instead of 1 rib of celery, or visa versa, is listed.

Yes, I know, it sounds like common sense that we all would realize those amounts aren't correct when you compare to all the other ingredient amounts, but you would be surprised how many people I've heard complain there were too many or not enough of a particular ingredient when they attempted a recipe for the first time. Especially newbies ;-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Tell me about it! my daughters first attempt at making a cake required 1 teaspoon of baking soda but with a typo in the recipe, she added 1 cup! Can you imagine it?

I learn something new here every day. I have never heard of a rib of celery- just a "Bunch" (the main bunch) and a stalk or stick (One of the single stalks on the bunch). Your comment inspired me to do some research, and found the following, which I found very interesting

[The appropriate culinary terminology is "rib" for one piece/stick, and "stalk" for the entire thing/bunch/head. This does not reflect common usage, however, so use caution in interpreting recipes.

These terms, however, are not used consistently even by food professionals. "Celery stalk," in American English, is commonly used to mean one piece/rib/stick of celery (in British English, it seems more common to say "celery stick"). Also in American English, the whole thing may be referred to as a "bunch of celery." It is sometimes also called a "head" of celery.

The correct culinary terminology is "rib" for the single piece/stick, and "stalk" for the whole thing/bunch/head. If the recipe calls for a chopped carrot, a small chopped onion, and a chopped celery stalk... go with a rib. Use common sense to consider the proportion of ingredients when deciding if the author of the recipe meant a rib or the whole bunch.]

I bet a lot of people did not know this, and I am going to start using "Rib" every chance I get!

Amen! Thanks for the reminder to all!

Deeli, you did it again.... Now explain Garlic. Clove, Bulb, Head etc. for all the young people just starting out in the world of cooking. Thanks.GG Vi

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsMarch 3, 2011
Background Check
Know What Information Is In Your Background Check
Double Sided Tape
Uses for Double Sided Tape
Double-Sided Tape
Removing Double-Sided Tape
Uncooked Macaroni
Converting Dry Macaroni Measurements
🎄
🍂