Uses for Leftover Bread

I am looking for ideas for using leftover bread, either slices or bits and pieces. I already make croutons and dry and crush as bread crumbs. What else?

By Anne-Marie from NM

I think someone asked this a while ago. I think there are a few archives about it. Anyway, you can always make bread pudding. And I think there's a recipe on here for bread soup (it's an Italian soup.)

Feed the birds!

You can make breakfast bread pudding as well as savoury or dessert. Or Place buttered slices over cooked vegetable or veg and meat then sprinkly cheese on top and put in oven. French toasts with egg, dry off in oven on low heat, use as melba toast Alternative uses, use bread rolled up in balls to clean off marks from wallpaper or cut into fingers to clean venetian blinds.

My mother would butter it, cube it, and put it in stewed tomatoes, with a touch of sugar. She would stir it in lightly when the tomatoes were hot and bubbly. It was actually real good. You can do this with fried apples, too.

For stuffing mix, put the dried bread cubes in a big, resealable bad. Add dehydated onions and herbs, and powdered chicken or beef boullon. When you want stuffing, make it like you do Stove Top. It's better than store bought.

Thank you to all responses and your suggestions as well as link to previous archives messages.

I save it until I have enough for bread pudding. There are many recipes on line for this.

Stale bread slices are always great for French Toast, as they are drier and soak up more of the egg mixture without falling apart.

February 11, 2011 Flag

Don't throw out another piece of stale bread, or buns! Store in your refrigerator, and it will stay fresh for a good 2 weeks. Store in your freezer, (double bag it to prevent freezer burn) and it will stay fresh for several months.

Take out only what you need, and it will thaw out in about an hour (average) at room temperature. Now if you do have stale bread, lay it out on a cookie sheet, and let it completely dry out, until hard. You may have to turn it over at least once. (I do mine in the oven, with the oven "off". It usually takes 24-48 hours)

Once dried, store in a plastic bag in a cool, dry place. Crumble and use in such things as meat loaf, meat balls or stuffing. Without the moisture, it will last for several months.

By jg2851 from Shepherd, MI

Answers:

Uses for Leftover Bread

If you are a bad cook like I am, crumble the stale bread and scatter it where the birds can get it. (05/04/2010)

By tomatohanger

May 4, 2010 Flag

Instead of throwing out leftover bread, including all the heels of bread that my family does not like, here are several suggestions I use. Hope one of these will work for you and your family! I use my food processor and process them until there are crumbs. Then I wrap and freeze them to add to meatloaf, meatballs, or for breadcrumb topping on casseroles.

Sometimes, I cut the bread in cubes, toss in melted margarine or butter, some dried chives and any other seasoning my family likes. Then pour onto a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees until they are lightly browned (watch them carefully, so they do not over toast). Take them out of the oven, cool and serve as yummy croutons on green salads or on a nice bowl of soup.

The last thing I do with leftover bread, or buns, rolls, etc is put it in the freezer, then when we are going to the zoo or the lake with the grandkids, we take it with us and feed the ducks. The kids love this, it is an inexpensive outing to go to the park or lake and feed the ducks.

By Bobbie from Rockwall

Answers:

Uses for Leftover Bread

Great ideas! But don't forget that the fancy breads (french, baguettes, etc) make great bread puddings! Even the raisin and cinnamon too. My family loves it. Cut the extra pieces into 1 inch bits and freeze. I need about 3 cups of bread for a batch. Yum! :) (01/08/2008)

By Toolgirl

Uses for Leftover Bread

I also cube the bread and dry it to use for stuffings, why buy it in a box? Did you know that there are several recipes on the Internet for homemade Shake-N-Bake and depression bread crumb cookie recipes too? During the winter months, I leave them plain or spread them with some kind of fat (sometimes coat with birdseed too) and throw them out for our feathered friends. My family will eat the ends when I make french toast out of them. (I hate wasting things too!) (01/09/2008)

By susanmajp

Uses for Leftover Bread

Italians never waste bread. We make Panzella, which is now served in restaurants as Bread Salad. Cube bread and moisten if you wish with water. Add fresh tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasonings especially oregano, salt and pepper, crushed red pepper and olive oil. Optional additions, green or black olives, chopped celery. Delicious, nutritious, and frugal. (01/09/2008)

By Angelina

Uses for Leftover Bread

Leftover hotdog and hamburger buns make wonderful garlic bread to serve with your spaghetti. (01/10/2008)

By auntieM39

Uses for Leftover Bread

Please look up online all the damage done by feeding ducks and birds bread. It is amazing the long term, big picture effects. Please re consider. Thank you (03/20/2008)

By Mary-Ann

Uses for Leftover Bread

I keep the heels until I have enough to make a breakfast of French Toast. (05/30/2008)

By LRP

French toast made with leftover bread.
Uses for Leftover Bread
Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadFebruary 11, 2011
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread
🎉
🎄