Uses for Fan Parts

I hate to throw stuff away. I always try to find a secondary use for it. Today, throwing out an electric table fan that was no longer functional, it dawned on me that the face cover was a very versatile item.

Glue a flanged base to the "nose" and you have a footed bowl. Add hook basket handles and you have a hanging basket. You could turn the fan cover into an egg basket, fruit compote, hanging sphagnum moss basket, dish cover (protection for sleight of tongue pets, or cover with gauze for fly control), young plant protector/bare spot protector, small items holder-table top, sink cover for hole in ground (but fill the hole when you get a chance), cover for old stove-pipe hole, mouse hole cover, drip-dry basket for lingerie or small wash items, doll clothes, or plastics, display stand for jewelry, tie rack, sorting rack, frame for a ferret nest, frame for art work, paper mache', etc.

I'm sure there's plenty more uses, so don't toss those fan covers, keep them out of the landfill and re-use them over and over.

By nekocat from Oregon

Great ideas! I, too, don't like to throw anything away if I can reuse parts of it. Thanks!

Best idea I've heard in ages. Wished I'd heard sooner as I just threw away one of these. Racked my brain at the time but could not figure a use for it.

WoooHooo! Thanks for sharing these great ideas. Imagine what all we could keep from going into the landfills if we gave more thought to reusing everyday items.

This bit of advice shows real creativity and imagination. Good for you, nekocat!

Your tips come at a good time. Thanks for taking time to share this info.

I love the way you think! Can I give you a garage full of junk I don't know what to do with? ;~)

You just gave me a great idea! I have cats, I made a large litter pan from a storage bin by cutting a hole in the side. I have been wanting a way to just lift out the soiled litter easily, I'm going to try the front of my broken fan. Cut it to fit the bottom of the litter pan, smooth any rough edges and put in the bottom and cover with litter. I should be able to just lift and sift. Thanks so much for inspiring me!

Hello, Tamaram55. I saw your photo and comment. If you really have old computers amongst your "junk" here is one way you can salvage one for something useful.

I don't know where you are located, but if you are located near Joplin, Missouri, there are folks there who lost everything including their computers in the tornado on May 22nd this year. If you are willing to donate your old stuff, perhaps someone there may have a use for them.

Excellent reuse of an item, nekocat! Thanks so much for sharing.

God Bless

Trish in CT

What do I do with the fan blades. Even a cheap fan has quality blades. This old TPI/Sears heavy duty fan has metal blades. The five year warrantied motor gave out after fifteen years. I have rebuilt it and fixed it over the years when I was shown how to oil it and take it apart to clean by a Sears service center. But a new motor costs about the same as a new fan. But, this one is strong, blows and cools very well. I need a new motor. Any ideas? Thank you.

Broken Fan
Reusing a Broken Fan
Better Living Green Living ReusingJuly 26, 2010
Electric Fan
Repairing an Electric Fan
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
car gear parts in carton box
Saving Money on Parts for Old Cars
Ceiling Fan
Repairing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan