Keeping Pet Chickens and Ducks from Eating Vegetables

I have a client I work for who has chickens, hens, roosters and ducks. She has also planted a garden and the animals are eating/ruining her tomato plants. Is there a way for her to keep them away from her garden, short of keeping them cooped up? She likes to let them out to roam during the day. Thanks for any help on this.

jmz2005 from Illinois

Best Answer

Either coop up the animals or coop up the plants.

Best Answer

I have planted my garden in cages, my chickens run free, I have learned how long their necks are. I have purchased the framing for canapés and put them around my garden, I have pig fence 3 ft. high and plastic bird netting the upper 3 ft.

I have bantys, they fly, between clipping wings and an overhang of netting here and there I actually have a bird free garden, I have several little gardens all over my backyard 16 x16, 8 x 12, 6 ft. round for beans, this is the only way I have been able to garden with my birds, Chris Cross on the framework I grow radishes, green onions, parsley, basil, and of course strawberries in hanging baskets, it's a bit crowded but at least I have my garden.

Best Answer

I have my garden on the other side of the fence, I have free range chickens, ducks, and geese, They have a acre; I got a space as big as your kitchen table for my garden, think there's somthing wrong with this picture. But I do have a weed free lawn out of it, with only 2 geese, 2 hens, and 6 ducks. They are so funny at the best of times they make the world a better place just watching them.

Walmart sells some inexpensive lightweight plastic chicken fencing. I found that just draping it around some fence posts around the garden works very well. It is best not firmly upright because the chickens just hop over or perch on it before hopping in and helping themselves. If it droops a bit, the chickens quickly learn that their feet get tangled and it's not worth it. This reminded me that I need to put up my fence RIGHT NOW!! Thank you.

tell her to spread cayenne pepper powder around her garden and around the plants that they really like, most animals can't take the heat and will leave the area alone!

and the natural way would be to surround the garden with human hair and coffee grounds i tried it and it works well

I put coffee grounds and hair in my compost pile (Last week I put 4 big from Starbucks in)that does not slow the chickens down. Theyre rummaging around in the pile all day . I guess worms are more attractive than the fear of coffee grounds and hair.

Hot pepper doesn't effect birds.

My problem was a little different, but the solution might also help in this case. Everyday, the chickens were making a mess by scratching the mulch up in my flower bed. But,I believe I have found a great solution! I stuck a long twig (about 3-4 tall) in the ground and tied a shiny aluminum pan to it. When the wind blows, it spins and bangs against the twig. Then I added 2 shiny pinwheels in the mulch around the edges of the area which is about 10 x 12. Has been about 2 weeks and so far, this solution has worked like a charm. Cheap and no ugly fence!

Going to try it I also use the motion sensor sprinkler to keep them off my back Porch and it works fantastic

A free range chicken on a farm.
Keeping Chickens Out of Your Garden
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJuly 1, 2007
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
duck nest
Ducks Not Sitting on Eggs
Pet chicken in the backyard.
Pet Chickens Information and Photos
Holding a baby duck in hands.
Raising Ducks as Pets
🎉
🎄