Are Tennis Balls Safe In The Dryer?

Is it safe to use tennis balls in the clothes dryer to keep them from balling up?

Jean from Michigan

Best Answer

Yes they are safe. It is an old trick - my grandmother used to throw 2 or 3 tennis balls into the dryer when I was little. For some reason she had cut a slit into each of them (I remember playing with them by squeezing the sides of a slitted tennis ball so that it would "talk," like a little green Pac Man). But they are safe even new just out of the can. It really cuts down on dryer time, especially with thicker fabrics like towels or jeans, or with fitted sheets that tend to hold wet clothes hostage in their pocketed corners. I noticed a big $ difference when I was in college using quarters in a laundromat.

Yes it is safe, I use them when ever I dry blankets and such. Laundry mats usually even keep a few on hand just for that reason.

Has anyone tried the dryer balls instead of dryer sheets. I keep seeing them in stores and have wanted to try them but didn't want to waste the money if they are no good. Comments, anyone?

Linda

Don't waste your money on those blue porcupine dryer balls. My daughter bought them and they did not work at all. The laundry was a wrinkled mess and she had to wash it over again. What a waste.

Sandy from Pittsburgh

I wash and dry my down comforter myself instead of having it dry cleaned. Believe it or not, my drycleaner told me how to do this! I use Woolite and cold water on a gentle/delicate cycle. I then toss the comforter, and about 6 tennis balls, in the dryer; set it on delicate/air dry then check and reposition it about every 15 minutes until dry. Works wonderfully!

hi, i have the blue porcupine dryer balls and am very happy with them. i tracked my drying time and figure i am getting every 5th load free. also, i never have left my stuff just sitting in the dryer when it goes off. the last few minutes of the cycle i grab clothes out and hang them and restart the dryer as i am hanging that one or two items up. i keep stopping, starting, and hanging until i've got everything out of there. i never iron ANYTHING. don't have to!!

I tried the blue dryer balls and didn't like them at all, my clothes were all stuck together and full of static. I'm going to try tennis balls and see if they are any better.

Lynne

I think the slit in the ball is so the air inside can safely expand.

If I had a white comforter, would the yellow colour of the tennis ball come off onto my comforter in the dryer? melaniechapstick AT gmail.com

No, the tennis balls have never stained any of my whites (and I have white sheets, a white and blue comforter and all the guys in my house wear white undershirts every day...so, lots of white laundry done around here and never any staining issue).

Put tennis balls in white socks. Also, use chair gliders since they already have slits.

A single tennis ball on a white background
Using Tennis Balls in the Dryer
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryApril 13, 2006
A pile of yellow tennis balls.
Saving Money on Tennis Balls
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Tennis Ball on White Background
Uses for Tennis Balls
sheep wool dryer balls
Homemade Wool Dryer Balls
🎄