Making a Room More Colorful Without Paint

My room is plain and I cannot paint the walls. I want it to be more welcoming and colorful what can I do?

By gonecrazy60109

There are many things that you can do to add color to your walls. Here are a few. Also, do a search for apartment decorating web sites. Even if you don't live in an apartment there are lots of ideas for adding color to walls without painting.

*Buy wall decals. They're like big stickers that aren't permanent.

*Hang colorful fabric, a blanket, or even beach towels.

*You can also "wallpaper" your walls with fabric and liquid starch. When you are ready for a change just peel off the fabric and there will be no damage to the walls.

*If you have the time (and money) you can buy enough poster board to cover a wall and paint it your desired color. Then just staple it to the wall. You can also stencil it or decorate it instead of using just one solid color.

Fold paper cranes or stars from colorful origami paper (available at Michael's craft store, sometimes at Walmart, and at Asian grocery markets). There are often directions included with origami paper, or you can get books from the library, or look here:

Hang the cranes or stars from different lengths of clear monofilament (you can get it as a roll of fishing line in the sports dept. at Walmart--get a light weight line) from the ceiling. Try to spread them out, but be sure you have enough to fill the ceiling. The origami is festive, colorful (you can even design a color scheme based on your choice of paper), and non-permanent. And it looks really cool.

Have fun!

Here are a few links I have saved: ... empty-stairway-wall-with-custom-art/ ... -to-paint-an-indoor-outdoor-rug#jump ... 2/make-it-modern-grass-painting.html

Here's a recent blog post about my apartment. I can paint but since I don't plan on being here too long (looking for a house) I am using accessories to pop some color in the house: ... ployed-and-bored-so-pictures-of.html

I am working on an afghan instead of the brown thing on my futon (you can see it's beginnings on my blog. Also, the fluer-de-lis pieces on the wall to the right of my futon will eventually be mounted on a rustic board using a rust or dark orange with a brown dry brush...I got those for $1.70 ea at Hobby Lobby. I have been using accessories to bring out color since painting and then having to repaint within the next 3 1/2 months doesn't make a lot of sense.

Hope that helps. I have a ton of links that I visit every day so if you want more links of blogs featuring decor, let me know. I plan on listing them soon on my blog as well.

I forgot, these are two others I think are cool and oddly one of them I found earlier today while doing my normal morning blog-cruise:

Colored throw cushions, area rugs. If the theme for instance is blue, then blue throw cushions, blue paintings, or picture frames, etc. Fake or real flowers with color scheme like blue and yellow go together and so on. Can be done with the color of your choice.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating BedroomAugust 11, 2009
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
Old Paint Can
Disposing of Old Paint