General AdviceConsumer Advice

Stainless Steel Vs. Black Cooktop

I have to make a decision on what color cooktop, with sealed burners, to buy. I know stainless steel scratches and looks old before it's time. I'm leaning toward black (thinking it's easier to clean and will keep it's appearance), then I heard black leaves spots/blotches, this after cleaning.

Any suggestion or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

By Cnil

I have a stainless steel oven with a black glass cooktop. I greatly dislike the stainless steel as it shows every smudge and stain. The black cooktop also show the dribbles from cooking. So I clean the cooktop after cooking when the top is cool. I am thinking of buying a new stove but not stainless. The black cooktop I can live with.

We have a black stove and believe me it is very difficult to clean. simple grease splatters become grease streaks when trying to clean. We use Windex to clean it and it works fairly well but takes a lot of effort. I just read an article that says wiping stainless with WD40 will prevent finger prints and streaks. Our next stove will be white.

There are cleaners specifically made for the sealed top stoves. I had a black sealed stove years ago and it was definately hard to keep clean. If there's a boil-over ... what a mess to clean. I had a nifty tool that had a retractable razor blade that I used to carefully scrape the burned gunk off and then I'd use the cleaner. After several years of use, my stove looked brand new. However, I'll never have another one. I don't like having to work that hard to keep a stove clean!

We recently replaced our old fashioned open burner cooktop with a white sealed burner one and I'm so hooked! The old cooker was a real beast to clean, I love those sealed burners, it makes cleaning so much quicker and easier-even in a boil over nothing goes under the burners.

But I'm very glad we went with the white instead of the black my husband was leaning towards. I showed him some black appliances that had been donated to a charity shop-gloss gone, every nick or scratch glaring up at the viewer-oh no, we love our new white cooker!

I've got a stainless steel sink and drainboard that I love, but it is done as brushed steel-marks from cleaning don't show. So if you go with the stainless, try for the brushed finish because it's much easier to keep looking good.

Back in the 60's or 70's, most appliances were white and then the colored ones came out. Wow! We thought Avocado, Copper and Almond colors were so pretty. Anybody remember those days?

We went through Avocado and then Almond but we eventually went back to white. White is so easy to keep clean and I have not gotten tired of it like I did the colored appliances.

I just don't like a smooth top cookstove that is electric. I prefer the gas ones. I have had two now and one was white and this one I have now is black. I prefer the black but truly don't like either.