Grown Dog Going To The Bathroom In the House

I have a female Golden Retriever mix that is approximately 8 years old. I also have a purebred female Collie who is 10 1/2. These dogs have both been immaculately house-trained until recently. Nearly every morning I am waking up to a bowel movement mess right by the back door in my kitchen, (thank God it's linoleum so it's easy to clean up) which is the door that they go out to potty.

Obviously they know where they are supposed to go, but for some reason they cannot seem to wait until we get up to let them out. These dogs get let out at night before we go to bed and first thing every morning. For whatever reason, it seems that, because of the consistency with which this is happening, one or the other of their "schedules" has been thrown off. How do I get them back to where they go during waking hours? This is just awful! Waking up to this every morning is really getting to me.

Can someone please give me some ideas? I'm thinking that I will have to sleep on the couch some night just to figure out who it is that is doing it. I hope someone can help. In case you can't tell, I'm terribly frustrated! Thanks ahead of time!

Robin from Washington, IA

It could be many things. Change in the house (ex.-something is different w/someone), physical problem, different food, medicine, supplements etc. I would 1st take a stool sample from each of them to the vet & see if they picked up a parasite. If that's negative have the vet do a good physical check. It's also quite common for the other dogs to mimick what the alpha does so it might be just one initiating it. That's if they are both doing it.

I had this problem until I fenced in my yard and put in a dog door. Works like a charm. Never have to worry about any of my 4 dogs waking me up in the middle of the night. They go when they have to and I'm NEVER bothered with letting them out any more. It's Heaven.

what about crates? you could put them in there and see if they hold it. then let 1 out and see if it happens with 1 out of the crate.

Your dogs are big and getting up in years, maybe you should take them to dr for a check up, could very well be a medical problem.

It could just be that one of the dogs is getting older and can't hang on as long as she used to. I'd have said that going by the door they go out is sort of telling you that 'I'd have gone out if I could have got out'.

Make sure they don't have water (including the toilet) or food available between the time they go out and you get up to see if it helps.

I think the doggy door sounds awesome but if that wouldn't work I would try to separate them to see which one has the problem...

It may be something the vet can give you advice on also.

If you are the Robin that has the awesome recipes I have no idea how you have so many wonderful ones but I truly thank you. I have a giant cookbook collection but I love tried and true recipes. Your's are awesome......

I was wondering if dogs get to a point where they lose their control of the bladder cause I have a 11 year old Shepard that always got me up whenever she had to go and for the last 4 months she has been having accidents then laying in them or even licking it up.My vet had her on antibiotics twice but know it seems not to help in the last few days she is not eating. Please help

Editor's Note: Because of all the pet food recalls, make sure to check all of the food recall lists to make sure she hasn't gotten any bad food. http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf57277617.tip.html

Pets Dogs AdviceOctober 24, 2006
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🎉
🎄