Dog Peeing on Owner's Bed

My 7 year old neutered Papillion mix has started peeing on my bed. He never did this before. Why has he started doing this? He has no bladder problems.

By Beverly from Campbellsport, WI

Hi Beverly, Whenever a dog's behavior suddenly changes like your describing, there's two places to start looking before anything else.

1) Medical: you say he doesn't have any bladder problems, are you absolutely sure? Have you had his urine checked by a vet? With a urination behavior, medical problems always have to officially ruled out first.

2) If that isn't the issue, then I would look at what has changed since this behavior started? Work schedule, house guests, someone moving in or out, stress or other problems within the home.

Think hard about the possibilities of what it could be. Dogs just don't suddenly begin peeing inside the home for no good reason! I'm interested to hear your comments.

All the best, Cabinfever.

we got a kitten 6 weeks ago and the dog has peed in my spot two days in a row. let me guess...he's pissed about the cat,

June 26, 2010 Flag

Our Jack/Chihuahua has just started peeing on her "mother's" bed. Bella is 2 years old and potty trained. We never had a problem with her going out to do her business, but the last two weeks she has found the need to pee on her "mother's" bed.

She splits her time between my room (her "aunt") and her "mother's". This is not an issue of not getting her out fast enough. Even after my sister washes her bedding and gets it back on Bella does it again, even with my sister in the room.

We love this little dog so much, but my sister is tired of having to wash all of her bedding almost every day. We have brought her to the vet to see if she had a bladder infection and this was her way of telling us. The vet thought that could be it, put her on antibiotics for one week. She did not do it, but is now back to doing it. Please help us find an answer, we love her so much, but it is getting a little unnerving.

By Elaine from New Bern, NC

Dog Peeing on Owner's Bed

Maybe she feels like mom isn't paying attention to her the way she used to. This is a sure sign of trying to get attention anyway she can and she is getting it, but in a negative way. Try coddling her more, talking to her more and playtime, they are just like children. (02/03/2010)

Dog Peeing on Owner's Bed

Could be the bladder infection be back? I would check for that. Also you need to get rid of any odor in the bedding. Even if you can't smell it she may be able to. Use one cup of borax in a warm wash to get rid on any lingering odor. Maybe as a last resort, don't let her in the bedroom for awhile. I would also try getting more exercise for her. That helps a lot of problems. (02/03/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Dog Peeing on Owner's Bed

If there's no medical reason, it could just be behavior. My dog did this a few times when my boyfriend and I first started dating, even if he wasn't around. It was behavior related. Her way of saying, "I'm a little jealous". In fact, at his place, if we left her alone for any amount of time, even if we were just outside, she would pee. We now crate her at night or if we go anywhere and she's been fine.

She's free to roam when we're outside, but I check on her often because I'm still not fully trusting her. Have there been any changes lately? Things that may not factor to us, will to our pets. Any schedule changes? Furniture moved around that could obstruct her view of, whatever? New pet additions? Does she pee when you're in the room with her? Mine didn't, so I just simply closed the door to the room if I wasn't in there. (02/04/2010)

By cowpunkgal

dog sitting in bed
Dog Pees in Owner's Bed
Pets Dogs AdviceJune 26, 2010
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
A new home.
Saving Money on Home Owner's Insurance
Dog Has Become Aggressive With Owner
Dog Has Become Aggressive With Owner