AdviceRecipes

Sauerkraut

Easy to make.

• cabbage
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. pickling salt

Directions:

Put shredded cabbage in sterilized quart jar. Add a scant 1 1/2 tablespoon of pickling salt. Fill jar to 1/4 inch of top with cold water. Set aside on newspaper for 3 to 4 days.

After fermentation stops, wash outside of jars and place in hot water bath for 15 minutes, counting from the time you first set jars in actively boiling water.

By Liz from Bisbee, AZ

Answers

I would like a recipe(s) to improve the taste of plain sauerkraut.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL

Answers:

Tasty Sauerkraut Recipes

My mom used to put a few tablespoons of brown sugar in it. Or you could put a couple of teaspoons of whole fennel seed as well. (05/25/2010)

By Corene

Tasty Sauerkraut Recipes

Not sure if this would be to your liking but GGVi just posted this one last month :-)

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf13693003.tip.html (05/25/2010)

By Deeli

Tasty Sauerkraut Recipes

In a baking dish (I put Pam in the dish first), layer chicken, sauerkraut, thousand island dressing, Swiss cheese to cover. Bake at 350 degrees F for about an hour.

Enjoy. It's so good and easy. (05/26/2010)

By doxiemom

Tasty Sauerkraut Recipes

http://www.sauerkrautrecipes.com/recipes.php?id=0andpage=all_categories

Some good ideas here. I happen to LOVE sauerkraut and it's so good for you. (05/26/2010)

By newlifeat49

Tasty Sauerkraut Recipes

We add caraway seeds to sauerkraut. It also aids in the digestion. (05/26/2010)

By myladyflynn

Tasty Sauerkraut Recipes

Here's one to "doctor up" sauerkraut. Good for hot dogs or sausages.

Rinse sauerkraut. Put in pot with water to level of kraut. Add caraway. Simmer 20" or until tender and 1/2 of liquid is absorbed. Heat fat in skillet, saute onion til golden. Stir in flour and cook til brown. Add to kraut with pepper and simmer another 20". Can add about 2 Table. brown sugar if you want to cut the "sour" taste. (05/26/2010)

By moravice

Sauerkraut Salad

Excellent for summer side dish: Sauerkraut Salad

Blend oil, water, vinegar and sugar. Arrange sauerkraut, peppers and pimento in a bowl, place onion rings on top. Pour dressing over. Cover, refrigerate for several hours. Keeps for weeks. My Mother's recipe (05/26/2010)

By NancySparks

Tasty Sauerkraut Recipes

I just drain it and add more water, a teaspoon sugar, and some bacon drippings. It really improves the taste and is not so sour. My 94 year old mother that passed away 8 years ago, always made sauerkraut this way. You don't have to use a lot of bacon drippings, just enough to add to the taste.
(05/27/2010)

By Pat in GA

Tasty Sauerkraut Recipes

Without draining the sauerkraut, I add a small can of tomato sauce. It cuts some of the sourness. (11/23/2010)

By Anonymous