Sharing Thanksgiving Dinner

I don't know if this is a tip for us to save or for the others to save. For several years, my family has had Thanksgiving dinner on the Sunday after the holiday. I figured the married kids would go to the in-laws for dinner on Thursday. This year we are doing it different. First we are having it on Thursday, as it should be. It is a potluck dinner, each one brings a part of the dinner.

I live in senior low income apartment building that has 36 apartments. This year I asked my family to make a little extra of their item(s) because I posted a note inviting any tenants that are not going out to dinner with their family or friends to eat with us.

That way they can have a big holiday dinner too and take leftovers home for another meal or two. I also said if they have a good friend they spend a lot of time with, that person can come too. One lady is bringing her brother who lives in another senior building. One is bringing a friend that helps her a lot because she is handicapped. So far counting the brother and friend we have six signed up. I expect a few more.

When the apartment manager heard my plans, she offered a ham to go with our turkey. Because of limited cooking space and time, because of handicaps, she is going to cook it for us. I would like your readers to invite a friend or two to your dinner, too. Maybe an elderly person who has no place to go.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL

Linda, that is a nice idea. It is especially nice when a group of people who are alone get together.

However, don't be offended when some who are alone do not want to join a family Thanksgiving. I'm speaking from years of experience. It is nice to be invited, but when you are a single person joining someone elses family for Thanksgiving or any other holiday, it is very uncomfortable...unless it is a family that you have been with many times aside from a holiday.

I've often thought of the foster or orphaned children who are invited to spend Christmas with a "real family". They really don't have any choice. I can't imagine what a lost and lonesome feeling that must be for them!!! As nice as it is to be invited, you are still an outsider, you really don't belong and you just want it to be over.

So, if the person you are inviting would rather just stay home, accept that graciously. Perhaps later take that person a plate of "leftovers" or a piece of pie. That would be very nice and certainly appreciated.

Growing up in CA , my parents often invited so many people that it was always fun. Many single people, older folks with family far away neighbors always told us they thought it was nice and did look forward to it. Mousie of course has own opinion but

if some did not want to come they don't. Keep an

open heart and open space at the table.

Very nice gesture. I don't think my family ever thought of celebrating the traditional Thanksgiving or Christmas meal, after the fact, but this would give everyone the chance to celebrate together, that might not be able to on the Traditional celebratory day.

Large Turkey and Side Dishes at Thanksgiving Dinner Table
Saving Money on Thanksgiving Dinner
Holidays and Parties Thanksgiving AdviceNovember 19, 2005
A woman holding a turkey for her family at Thanksgiving.
Bringing Families Together at Thanksgiving
Pumpkin soup inside a pumpkin.
Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes
Freshly baked white dinner rolls.
Saving Money on Dinner Rolls
A woman preparing a Thanksgiving meal.
Cooking a Large Thanksgiving Dinner