Keeping Pets Away From The Christmas Tree

Is there any product either homemade or store bought, that will keep pets away from the Christmas tree?

When my daughter was a baby we put our Christmas tree in a playpen to keep her from pulling it down on herself. It also kept our cats out of it.

my kitten is having her first christmas and she has decided to try and attack the tree. so my mom got a small squirt gun and if she starts to attack it, she gets a friendly squirt. this also works to train cats to stay off of counter tops. just dont let them see you squirt them.

any suggestions for dogs??

I usually put the unbreakable and safe ornaments for kids and pets on the bottom and put the breakable or more hazardous ones on the top.

Susan from ThriftyFun

You could put some kind of fencing around it.

One thing I use to "punish" my cat, is a shaker. I have a small tin filled with little pebbles, if he scratches the couch I shake the tin and he stops. They don't like the noise and he hardly does it now! I'd assume the same thing will work for your tree. If the tree is in the lounge, and you are generally around, shake the tin and the cat will stop.

You are one up one me though, I can't even find my christmas decorations this year, so I can't put my tree up (we have moved)..

Have a great Christmas!

I sprayed a little of my wife's perfume on the lower branches and our cats absolutely hate it! We had tried about everything (foil, dryer sheets etc)and almost did not put up the tree this year because of the cats wreaking havoc on it every year. Thanks to whomever suggested that tip!

What about dogs? I have two dogs and both got them in the summer and they have never seen a Christmas tree and how do I keep them away?

How do you keep some energetic puppies who like to chew up furniture away from the Christmas tree?

I still favor putting a few ballons in the tree. The kitten or cat pops just one ballon and he's guaranteed to stay away from the tree :)

My cat doesn't like the smell of citrus. I bought the car Christmas tree shaped air fresheners, orange scented, and hung them on the lower branches where you can't see them. They kept her from bothering the tree of nesting in it.