Share & Vote

Storing Lettuce

0 0EmailFollow
A variety of lettuce.

Lettuce is best when it is crisp. Storing your lettuce properly will keep it from wilting and help maintain its flavor. This is a guide about storing lettuce.

Solutions: Storing Lettuce

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Keep Lettuce Fresh Longer

I live alone. When I buy a bag of lettuce, I divide it up into serving sizes in quart size bags. In each bag, I place a single saltine cracker that I have wrapped in a paper towel, then press the air out. I have had a bag of lettuce stay good for two weeks. Saves me a lot of money. The cracker absorbs the moisture in the bag.

By Linda from Bloomington

Tip: Keeping Lettuce Fresh

I buy romaine lettuce when it is on sale, and have found a way to keep it fresh and crisp for up to 4 weeks. Wash your romaine and core it when you get home from the supermarket. Put it in a colander to drain, then take a large plastic container and line it with enough paper towel to keep the lettuce dry. Layer lettuce and paper towel, and put a sheet of paper towel on top. Close the lid tight and this will keep like new for 4 weeks.

Open and close as often as you wish. As long as you put the top on tight, you will always have fresh romaine!

I discovered this by accident while doing an ahead of time family meal. When my family found out how long it lasted they were very eager to use the tip as well. This works equally as well for any type of grapes. Much less waste and more savings to be had!

By Deborah from East Margaree

Tip: Storing Iceberg Lettuce

When chopping iceberg lettuce, it is a use it now, or lose it. This is common knowledge throughout households and the restaurant industry, because it goes brown! Or does it? Cut it with any knife at any size and store it in PVC free plastic wrap and containers or any container with the chemical free plastic wrap and it will not turn brown for a day or more. I use whole foods brand 365 plastic wrap and storage containers as well, have used both organic and non organic iceberg lettuce and it will not brown nearly what it will with regular name brands and cheap imitations. How about that?

Source: Personal experience, tried and tested!

by Sparklejunk from Columbus, Ohio

Tip: Make Lettuce Last Longer

Are you sick of your pretty head of lettuce turning brown and rotting in just a couple of days? Me too. I made a little discovery last week. I went shopping and after putting away the groceries, there was no room left for the lettuce. I cut out the core, filled the head with water to clean it, and let it drain well. I then shredded some off the bottom for a salad.

I put a couple of really wet paper towels under the cut side and one over the top. The lettuce lived on the counter for 4 days. When I checked on it, it was perfectly fresh. No rot, no brown, just perfectly preserved lettuce. It is still living on the counter after 7 days, green and crispy. I think that keeping it dry except for the moisture underneath is the key.

Go Figure.

Soo from Oroville, CA

Tip: Storing Lettuce

To make your romaine lettuce last longer, rinse well, then wrap it with paper towels and put it into a food storage bag. It lasts a long time this way!

By Debbie from New Ipswich, NH

Tip: Seal Lettuce In An Opaque Container

Refrigerate lettuce in a sealed, opaque container, such as Tupperware, to keep it green and crisp at least twice as long. Paper bags or black and white newsprint also works, but a container seals in moisture.

By Kel from Dallas, TX

Tip: New Life for Wilted Lettuce

You can often recover wilted lettuce by soaking it in ice cold water with a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar. Place it in the fridge for about an hour and it should be much more crisp.

By ThriftyFun

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Storing Lettuce.

Question: Freezing Lettuce

We just got a food saver and we want to freeze up salad mix. I want to know the best way to freeze lettuce, or if you even can. I can't find anything about freezing lettuce.

By Cathi from Vancouver, WA

Most Recent Answer

By happychappy09/22/2012

I have frozen romaine hearts for use in green Smoothies by first blending the leaves with just a little water in my Vitamix blender, then freezing in ice cube trays. Then I add the frozen cubes to green Smoothies in whatever amount desired.

Question: Storing Lettuce in a Crisper

What setting should I put my crisper on for storing lettuce?

By Sheila from Burlington, NJ

Most Recent Answer

By Stephanie [149]03/05/2010

Just a tip - our crisper has a meat or vegetable setting. It kept sliding over to meat (kids?) and the produce would freeze, ruining any with a high water content like lettuce. Once you find a setting you like, a little masking tape on either side of the knob will keep it from sliding and save your produce and money.

Question: Storing Lettuce

Anybody have a best way to store lettuce once you "open" the head? I don't like plastic bags, bowls take up too much room, and I've been using the cereal box wax liner with a paper towel to absorb moisture. Any better ideas would be welcome!

By BonnieAlice

Most Recent Answer

By Sheilah Link [5]05/07/2012

I am presuming you mean head lettuce. To reduce size, cut in half and remove the core; then cut in quarters. Any kind of container will work and this smaller size may be a help to you.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Storing Lettuce in Aluminum Foil

I read somewhere, that storing lettuce in aluminum foil would keep the lettuce crisp and fresh a lot longer. Is this true and if not, what is the best method?

Bob From New Jersey

RE: Storing Lettuce 08/15/2005
I know the aluminum foil works for celery, not sure of the lettuce. I put my lettuce into one of those tupperware lettuce bowls, then always put a fresh napkin or paper towel on top before sealing. Works really good. Dede
By Dede (Guest Post)
RE: Storing Lettuce 08/15/2005
It is celery that you wrap in foil to retain freshness. I have a foodsaver and love the canister for lettuce. I can keep a head of lettuce for a month in it.
RE: Storing Lettuce 08/15/2005
I know the aluminum foil works for celery, not sure of the lettuce. I put my lettuce into one of those tupperware lettuce bowls, then always put a fresh napkin or paper towel on top before sealing. Works really good.
By Dede (Guest Post)

Archive: Storing Lettuce

Store lettuce with a paper towel and it will last longer. The paper towel will absorb moisture. If you are storing lettuce in a container, line the bottom of the container with a layer of paper towels.
RE: Storing Lettuce 05/11/2006
I'm single, so I can't eat an entire bag of precut lettuce salad. After my first serving, I place two non-printed, white papertowels (don't want colored ink running into my salad) inside the bag. Then I store it upside down in the fridge so the towels are on the bottom. The next time I reach for salad, those two towels are wet and the lettuce leaves are pretty dry and rust free.
By ann (Guest Post)
RE: Storing Lettuce 05/14/2006
You know it all depends on where the produce is coming from and how long it's spent in transit before we even buy it. My brother in law is a produce manager and he definitely said that wrapping veggies in paper towels does help keep it fresh longer. I do this with celery and it lasts a lot longer. I do not wash any veggies before they go in the frig... and you should never refrigerate tomatoes or wash them till serving.
By Debbie52

Archive: Storing Lettuce

Does anyone know a way to keep lettuce and salad fresher, longer. I've tried the paper towel wrapping, but it doesn't seem to help.

Thank you in advance,

Jule61 from Zanesville, Ohio

RE: Storing Lettuce

Put the lettuce in damp paper towels and then a cloth bag. I bought a cloth bag specifically for keeping lettuce and it says to have the bag completely wet -- I don't do that, just be the towels are damp. My lettuce has stayed fresh up to ten days with great taste. If it is wilted, soak in cold or ice water for 10 minutes and you'll have "new" lettuce. (06/05/2006)

RE: Storing Lettuce

I read here once that you should wash your lettuce then place it in a bowl of cold water with a tight fitting lid. Keep it in the ice box. Your lettuce will stay crisp. When you use it, just take out what you want drain on a paper towel. Drain off water off of unused lettuce. And replace with fresh water. This holds true for other greens and salad fixens except tomatoes. (06/06/2006)

By madeline

RE: Storing Lettuce

I heard to just rinse the lettuce the day you use it then store it between paper towels then wrap with plastic wrap (06/15/2006)

By miraclelady50

RE: Storing Lettuce

Well, it seems that just about everything has been suggested already. I can tell you that for myself, I put my lettuce (head or loose) in an air tight bowl with just maybe a tablespoon of water in the bottom. On head lettuce I take the core out and make sure the open part is next to the water. The bowl I have had a plastic disc that I put in the bottom so the lettuce isn't sitting directly in the water. On loose lettuce I put a damp paper towel in. It works for me!!! (07/31/2006)

By TonyaG

Archive: Storing Lettuce

Tips for storing lettuce from the ThriftyFun community.