Fixing a Squeaky Door

Category Doors
Fixing a Squeaky Door
As a house ages things start to creak and squeak, doors being one of the biggest offenders. With these tips you will learn how to get your door swinging smoothly without that annoying sound. This is a guide about fixing a squeaky door.

Any kind of oil will fix a squeaky door. I was visiting my young daughter a few years ago and one of her doors was really squeaky. It was fairly early in the morning and she was still asleep so I couldn't ask her what she had to eliminate the problem. I went to her pantry and picked up a can of Pam cooking spray and sprayed the door hinges. It worked like a charm.

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

I keep a small spray bottle full of baby oil. I have also used salad oil and Skin So Soft, but Dollar Tree's is just fine. I spray the hinges and the problem goes away. However, I always keep a folded up old cloth under the hinges, as it tends to drip.

Open and close the doors several times once you are done to work the oil into the hinge and you are golden!

By Sandi from Salem, OR

A small bottle of machine oil or sewing machine oil is a must for your home tool box. The small pointed spout makes it perfect for putting a drop or two of oil in tight places. Use this to oil hinges. I know there are many home remedies for this but why not be organized and buy the little bottle of oil? Mayonnaise, salad oil, etc. are not really designed for squeaky hinges, even if they work.

By Lilac from Springfield, MA

I have used baby oil before when I didn't have a can of WD 40 laying around. The baby oil only works for a short time, but it smells good and it works.

By Robyn F. from Tri-Cities, TN

To fix a squeak in the refrigerator door or inside doors, use a little cooking oil on a q-tip. Works right away and no smell from cooking oil.

By Sharon L from Canada

When a door starts giving me sound effects worthy of a good horror flick, I make a grab for the can of aerosol oil spray that we all have in the kitchen. Original, canola, olive oil, it doesn't matter. Give a quick shot to the hinges on the door, and your door will be as quiet as a silent movie.

In a pinch, a spray from your can of Pam will work!

Source: Tired of waiting for hubby to get the WD-40 from the garage!

By Maile from Onalaska, WA

My mom was 85 when she died, and she was a widow for over 20 years. So I had to laugh when she told me she used Wesson oil to stop her cupboard door from squeaking.

Just spray the hinges with a silicone spray. It works every time!

Tips for fixing squeaky doors. Post your ideas.

It might sound odd, but try soap. You can soften some soap and rub in the hinges and it should last awhile. I know this because my grandmother used to do it and it would works. It works with drawers too.

By guest client (Guest Post)

Try graphite - it is the same thing that pencil leads are made of - you can find it in most hardware stores - it is a dark powder and you will only need a little bit - keeps forever

Remove one hinge pin at a time. Use a Q-tip and dip it into Vasaline. Coat the pin real good. Reinstall the pin. And do the same to the rest of them.

I did this two years ago, and no squeaks yet.

bobo42

By guest client (Guest Post)

What has worked for me is using Pam cooking spray. Just use it like WD-40 and open and shut the door a few times so it works into the hinge. It should work!

i had a squeaky linen closet door that drove me nuts!! WHAT I DID WAS i put a little vaseline on my hands and rubbed it into the hinges on both sides of the door on each hinge..

so far the linen closet hasnt squeaked in almost a year! GOOD LUCK!!

I have a problem with squeaky doors. My home is approximately three years old, so its fairly new. Since we've moved in my doors to my bedroom and bathroom squeak. And they squeak loudly. I've tried sprayind WD-40 but it doesn't work. Does anybody have any other suggestions? Thank you

htijerina from South Texas

If you have a squeaky door hinge, spray it with a little silicone spray or WD-40.

Pledge (wood surfaces cleaner) works. Spray on hinges on both sides of door and move door back and forth a few times. Lasts a few months.

My mom ,bless her , used cooking oil, like wesson oil. Worked for her. GG Vi

I just used oil sheen spray (for your hair) on my squeaky door and it worked like a charm.

I used the silicone spay method and OMG WOW it worked. I installed this door brand new about 6 months ago and it started squeeking not long after. I thought I had hung it wrong. It looked square and level. After applying the silicone spray, No more squeek. Thanks all...

Kevin

Seems I read where shaving cream (Barbasol) can be used for squeaky hinges. Has anyone heard of this or something similar?

By Jo from CA